UPS strikes a deal with Teamsters, averting a national strike

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Chinatown, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I go against it if it negatively affects my pay. I won't settle for a few hundred dollars loss in a weeks paycheck, just to help someone else that wants a pay raise. That pay raise doesn't help me at all.
    By refusing to make my delivery and having to return to the terminal, that may have made me miss another good paying run; similar to a breakdown and missing out on a good paying run because I'm sitting in the shop. Everyone has to make their own decisions on all that, but family first.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Isn't solidarity important in the industry? You hear guys talking all the time about "one week without truckers" and how it'll change the business and get everybody more respect and money. These guys just have the balls to follow through.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Solidarity is just a dream or wishful thinking in trucking. Too many variables for that to ever come to fruition.
    "Truck Drivers in the USA. There are approximately 3.5 million professional truck drivers in the United States, according to estimates by the American Trucking Association. The total number of people employed in the industry, including those in positions that do not entail driving, exceeds 8.7 million."
    Why should I sacrifice for some outfit like UPS? They have a dream job and no matter how much they are paid, they'll always be miserable and want more. If I'm happy where I am, why should I be concerned about their paychecks?

SOAthor Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i can fully understand. but frankly, any company i ever worked for, i'd call them and ask what to do as well. many times, i'd be told NOT to cross, as the company does not want the tires flattened or other damages.

i think i only had 3 instances in my 40 years of having to make a phone call.

as far as me crossing the lines for say a job there, NO WAY, would i do that as well. i need not find my car tires slashed.

6. SOAthor

SOAthor Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Tennessee
    Sheesh , no wonder they rarely need to hire for drivers...

7. iraqralph43

iraqralph43 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Last time UPS went on strike..Teamsters only had enough money...to pay the members weekly strike fund money ....for a few weeks...Teamsters had to borrow money...so they could pay members..until strike ended

8. Jeff88

Jeff88 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Unions. Hahahahahahaha.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.