Veterans, I need your help in regards to Wyoming, wind speeds and DOT saying shut it down

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GhentSaintPeters, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I asked a WY DOT officer this 2 years ago... They told me WY does NOT define "light vehicle"... If you get blown over you were too light, and its on you not the state.

stwik, Intothesunset and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Or just drag a flat and mash on it. lol
    EEven with a flat I have parked a few times, not because I was worried about it blowing me over, but because it was just taking too much fuel and I had plenty of time if the winds were suppose to die down later. Another ting the eld would probably mess with.

Intothesunset and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    One thing I liked about wy, is you can go oin the scale and they have the interstave on live, where you can actually look at your route to see the road conditions during bad winter weather.

5. StoneSSD

StoneSSD Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Richmond VA
    Yes the fines are very high for flipping the truck due to wind - they call it ignoring posted conditions or something like that

Ignoring chain laws is just as bad

6. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    LOL I did not even know they fined you for that, lol
    I have always liked trucking Wyoming, they are about as trucker friendly usually as you can get.

7. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Y'all got big ####ing balls driving thru a place where wind flipping trucks sounds like a normal occurrence.

8. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I'm an idiot. I just drive. Unless roads are closed off. Or mountain pass has a 3 day pile up by Laramie, or it's freezing fog. Freezing rain I've done but trying to cut back on that crap. I like to drive on ice with chains.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I see dozens of blown over trucks every winter in WY... It IS a normal occurrence... Usually megas... But ive seen several OOs blown over too.

shhh-meanwhile-in-wyoming-and-here-we-see-wild-semi-26201001.png

10. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    And they leave them sit there for weeks with yellow tape around them.

FlaSwampRat and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Every state has SOMETHING that scares the out-of-towners but the locals learn to live with. I'm sure you don't freak out every time the weatherman warns of sever thunderstorms or mentions a 50% possibility a tropical storm may make land within 100 miles of your town. Even when it's bad, it's not bad everywhere in the state at the same time. I've had a tornado on live TV marching down the local 4-lane between my neighborhood and the one next to it. Of course that's when the govt interrupts the live TV to broadcast a black screen with NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE printed on it and a scratchy radio audio telling of a Tornado Warning for 8 counties lasting the next 4 hours. The govt is late, useless, and expensive. The local TV Freakout Brigade gives much more accurate and timely info.

FlaSwampRat and Intothesunset Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.