WARNING!!!!!! Con way truckload!!! pay atentention to the red flags.

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by MrMatt, May 28, 2013.

1. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    What amazes me is that if you can pass a HAZMAT background check, where they take your fingerprints and run your name to make sure you're qualified to haul hazardous materials and to make sure you do not suppose a security risk to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, why the heck do they need to do four additional background checks? I would understand employment verification, and any recent violations, but anything beyond that was probably covered by that HAZMAT background check.

I'm scheduled for orientation on the 10th. Hopefully, I qualify. I ran a been verified check on myself for twenty bucks and everything came back clean. My DAC and MVR are clean, and I have no CSA violations.

Also, I have almost two years at Werner. I seriously doubt the pay can be any worse than that. I was making 0.24 cents a miles, but with safety bonuses, and the multiple drop pay on the dedicated account I was running, I was still pulling in decent pay. But outside that specialty fleet area, the pay is dismal. I just hope the experience that NOTTHEAVERAGETRUCKER is having isn't all that common at CONWAY. That would be disappointing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    They only run CSA mvr criminal check. And dac.. normal for every company lol. Sounds like u lied on something and they caught you. The reason they make u do a paper one too is to see if your liein about something...

4. EtaN

EtaN Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Con-way is a good company, not the best but they are decent. Granted, the miles are up and down and the quality of drivers there is getting pretty bad. Dropping bad trlrs etc etc.. But, that's any company some drivers don't give a ####.

double yellow Thanks this.
  5. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    Actually, as far as a sales tool, a reputation is all most companies have.
    Unless they have a niche in thr business, s truvk and trailer is just a truck and s trailer. Every trucking company is about the same.
    This used not to be true. Cfi was first with all airride, specializing in through trailer service to Mexico. Could make service agreementd to jit to the automotive industry. And air freight before the big ones we have now.
    Price alone will not sustain sales, it will short term.
    Now days The only thing they have to sell is service.
    Service on time, service safe, service dependable. All driven by driver.
    That being the case, why wouldn't they spend the extra time and money to make sure the filter out only the better applicant.
    Now I thought aboit this s little more, Matt original point is valid. You go through orientation, you should be technical hired the minute you check in Monday. Not have it dangled over your head for a week.
    I think us and the Marines are the only industry that may do this.
    A Marines doc I just watched the DI was telling the recruits the 1st 5 days of indoctrination don't count towards training.
    The recruits did mention also the recruiter didn't tell them everything that was going to happen.

6. mustang970

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    I'd be curious what to you, a cheap freight rate on average would be in today's market.

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt

Anything> $1.50 the megas can have it. I can go broke staying home, and it will take longer....

I prefer over $2 all miles.......... But we all know how that goes " in this economy ".

8. Roadrealtor

Roadrealtor Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    Off topicc threads? Say it ain't so!

9. Roadrealtor

Roadrealtor Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    In my orientation, 3 of 13 didn't make it. One failed driving test (he scared the hell out of me!). One failed drug test, and one got bounced for background.

Bottom line is, a trucking company bounced the ones that lied (or forgot the truth), the one that couldn't stay sober for one day in a row (drug tests are administered on the first morning), and the guy that was unsafe.

Go figure.

10. mustang970

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    Good to know, the company I work for rarely have hauls cheap freight then.
    There are backhauls and other occasions.

11. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    And after "clicking below for the truth", make sure that you also visit your local truck stop and speak in person to as many Conway Truckload drivers as possible. Best truth of all.
    Bottom line: If you are considering a driving position with Conway, Don't! And the same goes for any other large carrier.
    Yep, the ol' cliche', "misery loves company" most certainly applies here. These Conway flagwavers are struggling and they seem to want others in the ol' cesspool too. These poor guys/gals have no money and no life, hence the desperation to hold on to the false belief that Conway (or any other mega) is treating them well.
    Go to those truckstops, folks. Talk to those Conway drivers in person.
    You are best off going to work for a smaller, privately owned company.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.