Waste Management, WM hard to get into?

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by wastetrucks, Jun 21, 2012.

1. GmanInCali

GmanInCali Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Have any luck yet? Its a tough job market out there right now. Probably 500 drivers for every opening.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wastetrucks

wastetrucks Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2012
    NJ
    Sorry I took so long to respond, no luck. The location I want to work very badly hasn't had any jobs up recently. A yard kinda far away [30 miles] is always hiring, but its in a very bad area, as in crime so I really don't want to work out of that location. But would I be crazy to go for that, and then force a transfer to the yard I want down the line? Honestly beyond that I think I'm just gonna give up on WM, I mean how many times do I have to apply, interview and be turned down before they understand I REALLY want to work for them? I think its all BS with them, there is no fare shot, they only hire friends/family, no one off the streets.

4. GmanInCali

Sep 8, 2013
    Yeah, maybe that is why there always hiring, crappy location to work around? I don't hear of many problems with criminals on the routes, but sometimes it happens. I mostly can tell you from experience that we deal with the homeless problems more than anything. If you really want to get on with WM you gotta keep trying or maybe consider moving to a different town?
    Good luck!

5. wastetrucks

wastetrucks Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2012
    NJ
    Well I know absolutely no one at the location I REALLY want to get into so maybe I just give up. They lose out on a very good, reliable, hard worker, and that I find extremely stupid. Over 15 years of accident free class B driving too, with zero tickets/points, and no DWI/DUI BS. Gee I wonder what they looking for [sarcasm detected I hope]?

6. brianthenurse

brianthenurse Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Not sure if its an option, but WM up in the ND oilfields always are advertising for drivers. Maybe get your foot in the door up there and transfer back home as a current employee?

7. bigfunmess

bigfunmess Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Hi. I'm from MA, and I'm interested in waste management (trash pickup, etc.), just a way to get my foot in the door.

Any suggestions for the new guy?

Thanks!

8. arivera16

arivera16 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Hey bigfunmess, im from Mass too..I was looking into WM also...where you from???

9. WMdriver

WMdriver Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2014
    I have worked for WM for 7 months. Started in residential for a few weeks and then went to commercial in down town Boston.. to get hired at WM you either need experience or if you have non you need to apply when they are having a huge hiring frenzy ie they pick up new accounts as we got lowell for resi etc. Just keep applying .. the wait between interviews and phone calls are long took for ever for me too. Waited like 3weeks for a phone call after my driving test... hold out for it. I know guys taking home over 1500 a week.. just keep applying....

10. GmanInCali

Sep 8, 2013
    Good tip WM driver! Overall its a great job but not all companies are created equal! Getting on a commercial route with less than a year experience is quite unusual and very lucky I might add! Those routes typically go to the senior drivers. But of course a great driver is going to move up the ladder pretty quickly! Private Co. vs Govt. refuse are two different animals too. First being, Govt. refuse, everything down to using the bathroom is done by seniority...lol Well I'm exaggerating....a little....lol Private Co. will move a good driver where they want you pretty fast, so that's a big advantage vs humping trash for years on end to get a decent route!

Great thread guys, lets talk some more trash!

11. TX Oilfield Trucker

TX Oilfield Trucker Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2012
    South Central, Texas
    Hey I'm trying to get on WM here in south TX.
    Which is the most sought after driving position,
    Roll-Off or Front Loader Commercial?
    I'm going to guess Roll-Off.

BigJon310 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.