Waste Management, WM hard to get into?

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by wastetrucks, Jun 21, 2012.

1. BigJon310

BigJon310 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2011
    Everywhere, USA
    Still go, but my interview there was half-###. The person who was supposed to interview me wasn't even there. So some other person interviewed me. And had to wait 45mins.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigJon310

BigJon310 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2011
    Everywhere, USA
    You can easily get $18+ with Dupree, Sun Coast, and maybe other fuel transport companies because there is a high demand down there.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  4. gman2343

gman2343 Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Yeah i dont have my year yet, im at 10 months of OTR. There are picky about rhat year. Dupree denied me cuz they need a year. Suncoast is not hiring, im tryna get on with mission petroleum since they accept military driving experience.

5. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Residential roll off can be boring, I love running our 48' double can that we use for hazmat jobs and it's nice to see different parts of the country, and then you have the "pup" transfer trailer that goes behind the straight trucks. All ways fun trying to back one of those out of a tight area

Another thing with roll off you will almost never be at your legal weight, you will either have less then 5000 pounds in the can or 25-30 ton, very rarely is there an in between

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  6. BostonTanker

BostonTanker Road Train Member

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Lol. WM is now just a portfolio in a mega conglomerate's folder. Go work for a local sanitation company. All the local companies here pay better than WM and less hoops to go through. But I'm not in the south where the illegals rule the workforce

Shaggy Thanks this.
  7. Mackel

Mackel Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2014
    I worked for a company hauling waste. Usually you have to start with some of the smaller waste hauling companies who hire all the time. Usually for less money and the equipment is not as good. But, you can get what you need most. EXPERIENCE!!! After that when you apply for WM your chances of getting a job there greatly improve. It's like baseball, sometimes you have to play in the minor leagues before you can play for the Big league. When I applied for WM they wanted to hire me right away. But, I had a job that I liked and decided to keep it.

8. thereal1

thereal1 Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2015
    My dad applied twice for their CDL B - Non Exp. position and they turned him down. I reapplied for him a third time and selected White in the application instead of Black. He got an email a week later saying that they wanted to do a phone interview. By the way, my father is black. Plus, he has experience driving with his CDL B licence and he has a high school diploma, something they stated they don't need.

9. ddeldgeetar

ddeldgeetar Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I find their hiring practices bizarre. I've been to 3 separate interviews, one of which was a 2nd interview 2000 miles from where I lived at the time. I was planning on relocating and the interview went great but sadly, I was turned down shortly thereafter for reasons unknown to me as I far exceeded their minimum requirements. I can't complain though because I ended up getting into the industry anyway with a great company and love my job. Perhaps with my experience they will now find me desirable but I see no reason to leave where I am.

10. future trucker man

future trucker man Light Load Member

May 1, 2013
    most co want 1 yr exp it wasnt personal buddy its mostly ins reason , so you cheated yourself ?

11. petermiller21b

petermiller21b Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2015
    As you mentioned, the garbage drivers are making around 60 grand and more. As the need for garbage removal become more prominent, the need for garbage truck drivers also increased to a great extent. I’ve been in your situation for a long time and was searching to find some jobs and finally got one in a waste disposal company in Toronto called Gorilla Bins. I’m currently working as a residential garbage driver and earning not less than 60 grand. I’m happy with it. Hope you find something like this soon.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.