Werner: My experience (in progress)

Discussion in 'Werner' started by DriveItUSA, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Lowa3468

Lowa3468 Heavy Load Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Portland, Or
    Ok....first off relax.... Second put things in perspective.

i used to yell, scream, berate. Etc....etc... My students did go through allot of heck, but it was the way it was I told all my students if you don't hate me by the time you got off truck then I didn't do my job. And that it was ok, because they will thank me later.

well, maybe your trainer is pushing your buttons like I did with my students to make sure you remain composed behind the wheel. I don't know your trainer but maybe this is what he could be doing.
    its kinda obvious that you're at least Learning something and he just isn't using you as a log book.

i made it very clear before a student even put their stuff in the truck and tried to scare em to go back to the hotel. As I wasn't putting up with any bs. You have seen h..ls kitchen.....well welcome to the truck of h..l

there isn't a student that I have had in my truck that I didn't make em cry before they graduated, and put them through the wringer and you wanna know something.

1) they hated me when they got off of truck
    2) they thanked me 1-2 weeks after getting on their own
    3) they have said that when they screw up they can hear me yelling at them when I'm not there (lol)
    4) I still talk to each of my former students to date and help them.

and most of all.... they are safe drivers making a living / career

But if it's flat out no usefulness behind what he says or is doing then I would contact your Sdm

DriveItUSA Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DriveItUSA

DriveItUSA Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    [QUOTE="Hang - Man";3896201]what we are missing here is the fact that maybe DriveitUSA's teacher is not a teacher but using the opportunity to make more money than being with out a student.
    How many of the drivers that "train" would bother if they weren't getting paid more money for it ![/QUOTE]

pretty much. he keeps trying to intimidate me into driving from 8 pm - 7 am...but I can never finish the darn shift because I get too tired and have to stop at a rest stop or truck stop for the night. I refuse to be bullied into driving while tired and end up wrecking the truck. not happening.

I can do fine, starting a shift at 2 or 3 am, but I have always struggled at any job on 3rd shift (i.e 8 pm - 4 am, 10 pm, - 6 am, 12 am - 8 am) before this, so I am not surprised I'm struggling to sleep during the day and then get up and drive from 8 pm at night to 7 am in the morning.

keeps getting mad at me and saying the loads gonna be late. I just say, I'm sorry, safety comes first. That really infuriates him, and so then he tells me I'm not getting enough sleep (which I am, I operate great on 7.5 - 8 hours of sleep...if i get 10 hours, that's too much and then I'm even more tired earlier in my shift).

I dont give a #### about his miles. I care about learning.

but honestly, I think he's just trying to get me my 10 hours each day, to hurry up and get me off his truck. which is fine with me. I can request a few days of shagging trailers around Denver so I can get some backing practice on my own and figure it out, before I take a load OTR. I can do 5 or 6 shags a day and make a decent days pay too. Sometimes, when you have to learn something on your own, by yourself, you'll figure it out quicker and easier. So I can just get permission to take my truck and trailer to a big open parking lot, get used to what it will and won't do, then go do some shags every day for a week. Then I can head out with a bit more confidence that I can back the truck up, because this trainer obviously doesn't care like he should.

The beautiful thing of all this, is I get to write a review about him after it's all done and submit it to Safety. With recourse, without fear of retaliation. I'm gonna be BRUTALLY honest and DETAILED.

And to be honest, had the attitude and the snide comments and the throwing crap in my face not started, I'd have let plenty slide and overlooked it and given him a GREAT review. Now, not so much.

4. Little Eddy

Little Eddy Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Hopefully you won't have to edit tips like the one you posted about BBQ in Memphis...that is the stuff I really want to learn. I can only hope to somehow have a shipment next year going to Austin during South by Southwest...FRANKLIN'S!!!

DriveItUSA Thanks this.
  5. DriveItUSA

Jan 3, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    we get along fine till I make a mistake or forget something, then it gets ugly. about 30-45 minutes after it's done and over, hes; back to his normal cheerful self and we're talking like nothing happened, but it's honestly stressing me out..its like dealing with a ####### bipolar person.

however, nothing is perfect, neither is he and neither am I. so I am trying to suck it up and just get through it. Literally 2 weeks and this is all done...I'll have my 275 hours. I'm sitting on 178 after today's shift.

I am hoping for a good dispatcher. Overall, I've been pretty lucky so far to date with this entire experience. It's gone better than I expected, so I guess I should consider myself fortunate and count my blessings.

pattyj Thanks this.
  6. DriveItUSA

Jan 3, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    if you are wanting good BBQ, you need to hit up the Hard 8 in Coppell, TX. Holy smokes, they have some of the best BBQ I have ever had and I grew up in Kansas City where "allegedly" the best BBQ in the USA is to be found (but it's really not).

http://www.hardeightbbq.com/

Little Eddy Thanks this.
  7. nshore harleyguy

nshore harleyguy Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2014
    NH
    Maybe they will let you off the truck early. My sdm was calling me when I had 55-60 hrs left to get me off the truck. I ended up getting off the truck with around 38 hours left. They contacted me multiple times to ensure I was confident to go out on my own. The company's official policy is "we don't let people off the trucks early" but for me and a few people I went to orientation with we were able to get off a little earlier than expected

8. nshore harleyguy

nshore harleyguy Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2014
    NH
    I have to say being out on your own you learn alot more. I my trainer was great but he was always there to assist me. Once you are solo it is sink or swim and you are forced to make all the decisions on your own.

Little Eddy Thanks this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Hang in there you're more then half way done.

DriveItUSA Thanks this.
  10. DriveItUSA

Jan 3, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    well a new form of revenge has surfaced.

to everyone reading, regardless of what company you work for...when you fuel you truck with the company fuel card...make sure to register and get a rewards card at whatever locations you stop and fuel at. (Petro/TA, Love's, Pilot/Flying J, etc).

My trainer gives me his rewards cards when I fuel, however due to his recent attitude and snide comments towards me, I have started swapping my rewards card in when he isnt looking and steal his rewards points from him.

rewards points are good for free showers, free soft drinks at the fountain machine and other various food and beverage specials and discounts off your purchases. the more gallons of fuel and DEF purchased, the more rewards points you get.

revenge can be sweet. lol. you dont have to get mad...just get even.

11. Lowa3468

Lowa3468 Heavy Load Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Portland, Or
    well first i hate to say this but when it came to point cards I always used mine when it came to drinks, food, showers, etc.. I always used the points for my students, and at the end of training I would try to buy something useful for my students to put in their trucks with points left over.

I always made made sure students gotten their point cards by time they were done with training.

as far as driving at night yep once I trusted students knew what they were doing I had them do the night driving. Driving at night is hard and eventually you will end up needing too.

just hang in there you almost done

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.