Wester Star glider, to do or not to do???

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by NFDDJS, Jul 8, 2012.

1. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    New Hampshire
    With the truck I am running now? It is has a 1999 N-14 with just over 800,000 miles. Getting about 5 and because the gearing sucks. Geared low it was a logging truck in northern NH and they did 90% off road with it until I got it. Trying to get this truck so I can run Reefer spring, summer, and fall then in the winter stay local and haul salt in dump a trailer and logs 3-4 loads a week for my cousin. So that is why we are putting 46k rears, full lockers, 13,300 or 14,700 fronts and the 600HP/2050T

I would like the 14,700 fronts but I think it might ride hard and where we will be on the road 90% of the time I feel the 13,300 we be a good balance. Also the 14,700 adds 600lbs to the weight of the truck...

I was told with the C-16 that I should be able to get 6.5 or more if it isn't mashed to the floor all the time

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    If you are going with the heavy axles, and the big HP C16, then why get the "fuel efficency" package??? You will be lucky to see 5mpg with the combo you are picking. And since your set on a C16, then might as well get the 4900EX and ride smooth down the road. The SB rides like crap, and even worse with the air-ride axle.

I currently have a MBN C15 turned into a 6NZ right now and I've managed to get avg 6.3mpg with some help from PDI..... but my FLD120 had a 12.7 Detroit with a 10spd and 3.90 rears and got 7.5-8mpg hauling the same stuff. I can't tell the difference between the CAT and Detroit except for the paint on the motor since they both would pull a house off it's foundation. The 3.90's made it a puller, and the 12.7 made it a MPG god. If I get a glider, it will have a 12.7 in it. But the CAT motor is just as good, just not for MPG's. But if your a CAT guy then get what you like and know.

We just want pic's once you get her built !!!!!!!!!!

4. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Yeah I am not getting the "furl efficiency package" I am thinking the 4900SF now... I did see a 4900EX today but to tell you the truth I liked the FA better. Also from what I hear the C-16 will be better on fuel or the same because of the less shifts... Not sure if that is true or not. I know a few guys that run them and they are all in the 6s for fuel mileage but they do say if you are a balls to the walls, mash it to the floor driver you will be luck if you see 3-4 for mileage. Who knows...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  5. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    I think you will be happy with the set forward front axle. I always believe anytime you can stretch a truck/trailer out(within reason) the better the ride. I had a short time with C&S grocery a few years ago and their daycab FL's had setback front axles, almost under the firewall. Those things rode terrible. They were worse than a cabover. Their dispatch would always give me a sleeper truck, so they didnt have to listen to me whine. And many drivers wanted daycabs, so everyone was happy?
    I have posted and argued several times before in the forum on this. I believe in specing a truck for the job. I will take a lower geared truck anyday if it will do the job better. I dont know what your wood hauling job involves? It is nice to know when you let the clutch out, sitting in a mudhole with 50 tons on the trailer that the driveline is going to take it. I will burn a few extra gallons of fuel evertime, just for that durability and piece of mind. Fuel is a big expense, but so are driveline repairs over the life of the truck. If you never leave the road or gross stupidly heavy, it isnt such a big deal. As someone said previously, you cant have it all.

6. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I think we have a good package together for what we will be doing. Engine is going in the shop this week, and should be getting tore down by Monday. Will be a C-16 with 625HP 2050T with a ECM from PDI

SHC Thanks this.
  7. justbarriault

justbarriault Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2010
    I have seen great overall results with 3.55 gears,18sp, and 11r24.5 rubber if you have the torque. 3.73's with a 1650 torque. This is on a New Hampshire based truck running 100k Lbs or less. FYI KW now does T660, T800, and W900L rolling gliders.

8. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    If you are planning on sticking local/regional, say 300 miles a day or so, going with 3.90's would work great. I had that setup in my FLD and it worked out just fine. I had 22.5LP and just kept the cruise set at 63mph. It was great for stop n go traffic and job site work

9. ISF

ISF Bobtail Member

May 7, 2012
    Hi NFDDJS, Buying a glider is a good idea but you can buy an EGR & DPF engine / Truck . Then eliminated from the truck after you buy it, tuning the ECM for economy or performance your choice.
    Because a lot of people are fed-up dealing with this emission junk you can get a good deal on a use truck. ISF

10. panama motors llc

panama motors llc Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2015
    i have 2001 western star my fire wallfuse junction plate over the engine in the fire wall i was rusty i decide to replace but now i see in the dash when i star the truck engine stop signal but is going now my rear cab don't have any power no light please some body familiar whit western star

11. panama motors llc

panama motors llc Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2015
    where is located the fuse for the rear cab

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.