What do you actually check on a pre-trip inspection?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by expedite_it, Sep 10, 2023.

1. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Can you show us a video?
    What size socket?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    Automatic slack adjusters, no need for that pesky 9/16 wrench and a collar full of gravel.

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If you have to manually adjust auto slacks then they’re not functioning properly.

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Drivers like this are the reason automatic slack adjusters were invented. You just can't put a steering wheel holder in control of a truck that actually has to be kept up and taken care of.

6. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    Wait, so do I set my brakes before adjusting my brakes???

I'm sure there's a potential $$$ making opportunity here where a guy could hold classes for 5 to 10 people that want to learn hands on some of the basics of the traditional owner operator. Changing a brake chamber, flat tire, airlines, adjusting brakes/installing brakes or any # of tasks could be taught over a weekend at $1k per head
    Churning out veteran drivers in 3 days or 25% of your money back!!!

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  7. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Someone needs a random…. o_O

Hammer166, LameMule and Kyle G. Thank this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There's 9/16 where you have to push the ring to release the adjuster and adjust. The socket pushes the ring in.

There's 5/16 or 8mm where you need a flathead screwdriver to pull the pin out to adjust.

There's 7/16 or 11mm I think it was.

There's square on drop axles.

The drop axle on my trailer is a manual with square.

Sons Hero, Last Call and LameMule Thank this.
  9. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    The instructors at your truck driving school probably did not know how to adjust the brakes themselves.

Hammer166 and silverspur Thank this.
  10. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    The steers of my tractor have disc brakes. The hub caps over my drive wheels block my view of the brakes on the drive wheels.

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Your "main" brakes and your "spring" brakes are the same brakes. Both work from the same brake chamber and work the same brake shoes. So if you leave the trailer brakes set, (the red brake knob pulled out), and try to move the truck forward you are checking your trailer brakes. If the trailer moves, then your brakes are not right. Do that as part of your pre-trip or whenever you drop & hook.
    Most companies now do not want their drivers adjusting the brakes. And like @Long FLD said above, if you need to adjust brakes and have auto slack adjusters, as most trucks do, then there is a problem with the brakes. Could be a faulty auto adjuster, S-cam bushing or something else. Most shops will not adjust auto slack adjusters because of this.

Long FLD Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.