What do you consider good pay?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by NewWorldTrucker, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Guess I'm gettin screwed. Just looking at the odometer, and I'm at 167k miles since late last April.

I get 500$ a week

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NewWorldTrucker

NewWorldTrucker Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2022
    I’m a Fuel Hauler.

4. TX2Day

TX2Day Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2023
    Texas
    And have some extra to do the things I enjoy on my free time. Free time and benefits are part of the good pay as well.

Numb and Jamie01 Thank this.
  5. Jamie01

Jamie01 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2020
    I look at pay in context - what your financial needs and goals are, how much you enjoy the work, what other things you want to do with your time. I drive four days a week, two short days and two long days, a total of 33 hours. I'm paid $1495/week. That's before tax withholding and my 401K and HSA contributions, but after the employee share of health and dental insurance. I could make more by switching to a bid with more hours, or maybe looking for a different company. But the schedule fits nicely into my life. And anyway if I were in this for the money, I'd be doing something that pays better than driving a truck. I do this because it's fun and relaxing. Getting paid is nice, but at this stage of my life, it's not what motivates me.
    I would calculate it on an hourly basis. How many hours per week are you driving or otherwise on duty? If you're working 40 hours/week, $2500 is $62.50 an hour. If you're working 70 hours, it's not even $36 an hour.

If I were OTR, I'd also factor in any off-duty time spent on the road. If I have to be away from home due to work, I expect to be compensated for it.

TX2Day Thanks this.
  6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Live within your means.
    Stay debt free as much as possible, or keep your debt to income ratio as low as possible.
    I know some who get a little bump in their pay and run out and buy a $70K pickup truck.

Stonehjl, Jamie01, Lav-25 and 4 others Thank this.
  7. FloridaRetired

FloridaRetired Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2024
    A general CDL job with enough experience may not be as highly paid as a specialized trade but should pay well enough to support a family, pay off a mortgage and have a modest retirement plan. As someone said earlier, you need to live within your means.

Lav-25 and TX2Day Thank this.
  8. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Congrats . I dont make that much ( i do one store and only 4 nights ) , so my pay is little less .
    Got the bennies and they are okay for me . specialty driving has it's benefits , but it's downfalls too.
    Talking pay to one person who does a different thing ( ie oversize lowboys ) and hauling fuel 5 or 6 stores a day is quite different.
    Each has a certain knowledge and skill and once you have it , you try to keep that skill and pss it on.

FloridaRetired Thanks this.
  9. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Company 60cpm mile 3000 + miles a week as a driver with a year or so experience. Starting out these days as new no less than low 50'scpm

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  10. NewWorldTrucker

NewWorldTrucker Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2022
    True. I usually only do 2 stores a day. Sometimes 3, but you’re right there are drivers/companies that run 5-6 local stores.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You Boss is a cheapskate. Lol. I have the same issue.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    Sons Hero Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.