What if I dont stay with Swift for a year?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Durty, May 10, 2007.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2004
    You should stay a year if you hope to get on with a better company. Swift truly does suck... I started out there back in 93. It is amazing how much they have grown thanks to fools like you and me. You know we're just hard working smucks looking to make a decent living doing some good and not doing crime.

I am so far removed from Swift's bullsh7t that I can not begin to say what they are like now. You have already started the process so hang tight and know that things do get better. Keep your nose clean and those violations low. Do your year and then move on to better things. Peace!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bartage

bartage Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2008
    buffalo newyork
    now in new york where i live if you take out loan money for school it takes allmost 5 months to get thru school besides if you stay the year your paid for and it looks better on you that you stuck it out

4. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    If you don't fulfill your contract with them, they'll take away your birthday and send you to a black-hull in Alaska.

Oh.. wait. That's the Coast Guard.

I agree with the others here - if you finish the school, stick it out for the year or whatever the contract says. If you've not started the school, look REALLY hard into paying your own way - either out of pocket or via a grant.

5. kaiwren986

kaiwren986 Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    Your recruiter should have sent you a letter in the mail with the rules of the contract and general company rules and the pay scale. and an email. Long post so:

Swift Driving Academy [FONT=Times-Bold, sans-serif]TOTAL COST [/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman, sans-serif]$3,900*[/FONT]

[FONT=Times-Bold, sans-serif]INTEREST RATE [/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman, sans-serif]0% (Interest Free Loan)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times-Bold, sans-serif]TERMS [/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman, sans-serif]13 months # $300.00[/FONT]

[FONT=Times-Bold, sans-serif]LOAN PAYMENT [/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman, sans-serif]$300.00 # $75.00 weekly for 13 months[/FONT]

[FONT=Times-Bold, sans-serif]TUITION REIMBURSEMENT [/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman, sans-serif]$150.00 # $37.50 weekly for 26 months[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times-Roman, sans-serif]should you accept employment with[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times-Roman, sans-serif]Swift Transportation.[/FONT]

If you didnt sign anything or leave yet here is the important part:

Swift Driving Academy [FONT=Times-Roman, sans-serif]If Student leaves within 3-day grace period, there is no cost to Student. The[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times-Roman, sans-serif]loan will be prorated if Student is terminated before the 8th day of class.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times-Roman, sans-serif]Basically if you leave in 3 days, you owe nothing, if they get rid of you before 8 days you owe nothing, you finish the course and stay for 2 months, you owe it all.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Times-Roman, sans-serif]Im leaving the 15th, nothing in life is free. Its a stepping stone for better jobs nothing more or less. Maybe you'll like it there and stay who knows.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times-Roman, sans-serif]Good luck man.
    [/FONT]

6. InMyDreams

InMyDreams Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Kingston, Wa
    i am going with swift as well. read your packet closer: that's 3900 + INTEREST, collection fees, legal fees, etc. if you even think about bailing before it's paid off.

just something to think about. it's probably better to stick with them for a year at least. besides, according to you, "Swift isnt my dream company just the only one willing to take me" then it'll take you a year (possibly more) to get experience that someone else will deem credible.

just stick with it for a year ... it's only a ####### year anyway. besides, you sound awfully choosy for someone who got accepted at only one company.

good luck to ya.

7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    What if I dont stay with Swift for a year?
    Then you will be like most of them....:biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.