What is the REAL average first year income for a new driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SinCityShooter, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Maj. Jackhole

Maj. Jackhole Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    On the other hand I can't understand folks who want to see the same thing everyday.

SingingWolf and WesternPlains Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I don’t know, there’s something about otr. It’s not the pay. It’s something else.. for me anyway

Yeah I lack experience. I just get excited is all. Haven’t been excited about much in years. It’s nice to finally have something to look forward toL

SingingWolf and kanidana Thank this.
  4. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I do. You laughed when I quoted median company driver income, suggesting I quote those figures to Owner/Operators. It seems you have a problem with reality, so I'm quite sure this business would chew you up and spit you out. Besides, if you don't need to work, I'm sure you'd quit in a heartbeat, hopefully with some respect for those of us who do this everyday.

First of all, successful O/Os are pulling in about 3-4 times more in revenue than they are paying themselves. Secondly, they often do their own maintenance on the weekends. Third, those figures don't include benefits. I can go on.

This is not to mention the fact that to be successful requires experience, so that O/O "making over $300,000 per year" 1.- didn't learn how to do it overnight, and 2.- is still earning less than many of us are after including benefits and taking into account all taxes and expenses. Also, most have a spouse behind the scenes dealing with other aspects of the business while the O/O is out on the road. Dispatcher, accountant, etc.

It takes a special type of person to be a successful Owner/Operator. If you think it's easy, go for it. But first you might want to learn how to drive a truck. Good luck to you, sir.

Dumdriver Thanks this.
  5. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    So true. I can relate. I get burned out on the road, I go home for a few days, and the road calls me back. I just enjoy the open road and everything about it...emphasize OPEN ROAD, (why I love long hauls with few shipper/rcvr interactions). I love money as well and I'm glad to be able to get paid for something I love to do. Some people just get a job for the pay and I feel sorry for them.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  6. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    Who am I to tell a person what their interests or hobbies are supposed to be? I do me, you do you, he'll do him.

Not intended as an insult just a confusion over why it matters to ANYONE. What an individual lawfully does.

7. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    A lot less than what a recruiter will tell you. But you have to go into this thinking of the first year as a learning process that brings you to better things and can't get discouraged when things don't work out.

Delays and low-pay weeks are natural in the trucking world, so you just take it in stride and move on to the next day/week/month.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.