What kind of tech stuff do you guys do?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by LtlAnonymous, Feb 3, 2022.

1. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    Analog. As in Vinyl records and the turntables to play them. Gifted an Onkyo complete stereo system. circa 70's-80's? Have 3 turntables(about to sell I think) made by Onkyo. Fell into a DUAL 1229Q that needs work but them Germans know how to make stuff.... Which led me to a 1228 and a 1257. All need service and probable repair if service doesn't cover it.
    My Sundays are music days...

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Oh nice. My Christmas present this year was a starter turntable. I have like six albums so far. Lol

4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    closing in on 700. plus maybe a 100 cds

website and app called discogs. use it for cataloging your colection. learning values of used titles you may want.
    buy those just gotta have titles.

has a random selection feature I use to decide what I play.

5. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

Prior to wanting to check out vinyl, my entire music collection had been lossless audio files on my home server. They sound great, but it's just not quite the same.

6. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    My grandfather used to always say if it has more than three buttons I don’t want it.

REO6205 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  7. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    I'm kind of in the same boat, though. Keep your features. Make it to last.

My refrigerator doesn't have an ice maker SPECIFICALLY because ice makers are always the first thing to go. Lol

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Going all the way back to the 1960s through into the 80s I guess I had close to 1500 albums. Everything from Country music to Classical. I don't play music to define my mood I play music to compliment my mood. Today I am 100% digital. Because I am not an audiophile my digital collection is good enough for me. I took this screenshot just now. This is where I keep a lot of my music. I add and remove songs about once a week. Records played on turntables was/is nice, but in all honesty, storing music digitally saves a lot of turntable care. I am glad there is a bit of a renaissance because I would love to get some of the older albums. Maybe one day!

[​IMG]

9. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    So I spent all week reading up on containers and a program called Docker that runs them.

I have a home server, and so what these containers would do is keep programs running inside a little not-quite virtual machine. A virtual machine is a whole operating system. This is just a program and everything it needs to run.

The containers are nice because they keep everything separate, the programs don't know anything about the overall computer, and the containers essentially heal themselves by "rebooting" the program if anything goes wrong.

So now I have containerized instances of Home Assistant, Plex and Jellyfin on my server, and it's beautiful. Everything went smoothly. I was surprised.

A good Saturday night. Lol

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I need to get around to using docker on my server. I'm guessing that won't get done until the server dies and I need to rebuild it though.

11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I have an old Dell laptop sitting on the top shelf of my closet. I am in the process of getting a parts list made and if I can get all the parts and stick to my budget I will refurbish it. If not I will sell it as is on Ebay!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.