What the? Turned down for garbage truck driver job

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by seabring, Dec 8, 2011.

1. jerryy123

jerryy123 Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    yea that doesnt make sense dont let that job slow u down.doesnt sound like a stable gig anyway 10-4:blob:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jerryy123

Feb 22, 2012
    yea(dump exp)thats funny,whats up with that?:biggrin_25516:

4. jerryy123

Feb 22, 2012
    YEA...ROCKET SCIENCE!! THATS FUNNY.:biggrin_2559:

5. HankScorpio

HankScorpio Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2022
    USA
    Same thing happened to me before getting hired at my current job. Keep in mind, I’m still a new cdl b driver but when browsing jobs every day the one consistent position I’d see ‘urgently hiring’ was garbage truck driver. I was rejected by 3-4 garbage companies which I didn’t really understand. The first being, not many job seekers want to work in this field so your applicant pool is very limited and second, unless you have an agregious driving offense there’s nothing that should prevent you from getting hired. The mind boggling thing is I still see the same garbage companies looking for drivers. Seems counter productive at best to reject an applicant because they’re new or maybe because they don’t have the character traits you’re looking for.

The first company I interviewed at asked me the ridiculous scripted situational questions, which I thought were silly. Family owned but a corporate vibe. “So why do you want to work in the trash industry?” I wanted to respond with, “because I have a torso and limbs.”

In the end it wound up working out for me. My current employer saw a need for drivers and hired me on the spot. Good wages and much better than the competition who rejected me.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.