What's the better job, mechanic or driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jbrow327, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Jbrow327

Jbrow327 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Thanks. I've seen tons of class B trucks in my area, slc utah, that have dot numbers on the side and they're running on their own or with a company. If I were to buy a class B truck, like a freightliner M2 116, how feasible would it be to be able to lease onto a company? Do class B drivers get less hassle than class A when it comes to port of entry stuff, etc.?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    My class non cdl leased operators run local/city and my three company units [2 class B and one non CDL] work first...the non CDL guys who only need the intra state plate and NY HUT sticker...no hassle.

4. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Same hassle, less freight possibilities.

Those straight trucks are likely expeditor trucks running teams. Get a few pallets and race across the country as quickly as possible, then sit around until the next load comes along. Its a different kind of lifestyle.

5. seagreg

seagreg Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2019
    Dump truck pays better in the SLC area.... but one truck is a hard way to make a profit.

Most of the straight trucks you will see are part of another venture and not purely for hire.

Remember that private carriers have to have DOT numbers, in fact company 1ton pickup trucks should have DOT numbers in Utah if it's GVWR > 12,000 lbs.

As enforcement is unlikely many do not apply for or display DOT numbers.

But to make a living with straight trucks you have to find a niche as mostly you will be competing with LTL carriers who have more space for other cargo to increase their income.

Outside of logistics or hazmat or dumps I don't remember seeing any pure for hire straight trucks that weren't tied to a larger venture in SLC.

6. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    In MN, even private owners of greater than 12,000 GVWR require a USDOT number. We don't have to display them, but we need them on file to renew our registration. I happen to have an old class 6 truck that I use to haul my skid steer in for service, repair, and even fueling, along with my car hauler to pick up my junk when it breaks down (I have an old Sprinter van that likes to leave me stranded). I have a private USDOT number on file for this. If you look it up on safer, the legal entity name is "NONE." USDOT 3717174

7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    One of our Non-CDL guys had his own authority but could not sustain business on is own but prospers leased with us.

Kind of hard unless you have and can keep the business that pays the bills.

Working for another carrier still lets you meet the people who may, at some time, steer you towards a business opportunity that may be what you need.

8. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Which is better? Chocolate or Vanilla ice cream.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.