Whats the most tired you have ever been?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by D.Tibbitt, Jul 10, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I had a episode similar to that once.

Im going to get laughed off the Internet but as a child the schoolbus was not a welcome situation. (Part of the reason is that we did not need them during the week in Dormitories at the state schools. Part of the school bus problem is my parents never handled that well. Alot of yelling, get your butt up to the bus stop here comes the bus, you are going to miss the bus etc. 20 to 40 minutes of that ranting.

If I knew about emancipation I would have signed those papars to get peace the instant I hit 16 and ditched the school as well once the coursework's fluff and no application in life became apparent.

Anyway one night I stood out there waiting for the stupid bus, it kept raining. Which was not welcome. And the traffic made for a interesting problem. (*Flip the situation around, when you are commuting to DC or Baltimore downtown and you see a wet kit in PJ's waiting for the bus.

What had happened was the combined imposed stress from the parents created a one time problem of sleepwalking to that extent on that stupid school bus which was not for another 4 hours yet.

Fast forward many years. We had a long day. Drive down 95 or so all the way to what I thought was SC Line. After 600 or so miles I was done. Find a rest area and pulled in. Logged out switch to the other driver and went to bed.

5 miles later a extreme brake application alerted there was a problem. It seems that the state line was not for another while yet. And we had logged everything wrong.

Ultimately I fixed the school bus problem permanently. By changing back to the state deaf school with a dormitory. 6 am rolls around no one yelling for anything. Time to eat.

I leave you with this thought. You do not ever sleep in company yards. One time I went to bed in the middle of FFE Chicago in Highland which is essentially Chicago. It was in a spot room for 4 trucks and trailers first come first served. The problem was I had a go getting dispatcher who came out and banged on my sleeper wall with about 7 minutes to go on my 8 hours off. And good morning to you too [bad word] He said WTF?! Needless to say that was the last of the Chicago work. Which is not a loss on my end.

Anyone who cannot stand to wait the 7 minutes to tick off on the 8 hour berth time needs to be catapulted over the wall. HA...

2. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    You guys won’t have that trouble if you chew on a toothpick. :lol::lol:

3. Michael 247

Michael 247 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Va
    My trainer in 1988 would joke on the CB about propping eyelids up with Toothpicks...i didn't figure out what he was really talking about till years later..

FerrissWheel, just_sayin and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Worked for a company that said they run legal. Run all day run all night. Did it a number of times. No desire to go back to that. See things that aren't there, stop and do laps around the truck. Helped for awhile. Found myself in a rest area once, don't even remember driving in. All this, as i think back, for what? Just younger and needed the $$ i guess. Started trucking at 18yrs and thought i was indestructible. 63 now, like to think i know better now.

FerrissWheel and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Medium Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    Last year during my 2nd month of driving I was driving towards MD through PA on I-476. Was running hard the last 2 weeks and was completely bust. It was like 3am and pretty dark, I was probably the only truck out there at that time. I saw what appeared to be a friggin deer in the middle of the road, I hit my brakes and went right through it kind of like a ghost. Got off at the next service plaza and the second I hit the bed I was out, didn't even set my alarm. Woke up 8 hours later, I was late for my pickup and delivery.

Now I nap for 30-45 minutes and keep driving, if I still feel tired I'll have the load rescheduled. Better to get there alive than not arrive at all.

6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    No beer?

D.Tibbitt and shogun Thank this.
  7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    New England area
    Whats the most tired you have ever been?

my work hours were from about 8 PM till 4:30 - 5AM each day.

come saturday when i got home, i never went to bed,(like during the week) i stayed up cuz i have work to do around the house.

usually bed time on a saturday would be about 9 PM, (meaning i would be up about 24 hours, after that long week.....so here i was this one saturday working in the garden, i was weeding the garden, while down on one knee......

wife came out and scared the crap outta me.....

apparently, i was snoring like no tomorrow, in that position..........

8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have been tired many times over the years, but the two that comes to mind as the tiredest, was not in a truck.
    For several years I ran a shop, with road service for trucks and a wrecker for passenger vehicles. When we would get a winter storm, I would be busy from start to end.
    I had to come back to town for parts for a truck and the driver was riding in my service truck to stay warm, I took the exit to the west bound scales instead of passing it and taking the next exit, rolling across the scales at a higher than normal rate of speed. Luckily I knew all the scale masters and dot's, so they probably thought I was just messing with them. lol
    I didn't say a word and just acted like I did this all the time, but the driver riding with me looked at me and ask how long I had been up. lol

The other time I was working out of town and only coming home on the weekends, there was two low water crossings in the last couple of miles before my house, that would flash flood. The first one had a pickup washed into some trees 75 to a 100 feet off the road, I walked out and made sure no one was hung up in it, But was able to drive my pickup through it, the second was just a couple of hundred yards from my place, and the water was too high to drive through, so determined to get home, I decided to cross on foot, big mistake.
    I was washed into a fence, no big deal I figured I would climb over it. The fence was field fience doubled with wooden picket fence on the bottom 3 feet, then barbed wire above that. Well I could not get over it with the water pushing me against it, no matter how hard I tried. My neighbors had driven down and shined his lights on me, but there was nothing he or his son could do to help. I finally gave out and had to rest, by hanging my arms over the barbed wire, which is kind of rough on the old arm pits. lol
    While I was resting, all I could think about was eventually a log would come and pin me down, and the water was still rising. I rested until it started getting over my head, then went under and try to slide under. I could not pull any slack in it to get under, but straining with everything I had, finally managed to get enough room to slide under.
    I went down stream quite a ways before I managed to get out, so my neighbor never saw me come out, and finally went back to his house..
    When I finally got on dry land, I could barely crawl, and did not have enough energy to walk at all, so just laid there for a while, before walking on home.
    Early the next morning my neighbor came down to tell my wife I had drowned, and looked like he was looking at a ghost when I answered the door. lol
    I went back to see why I could not pull any slack in thet fence, there was 2 in pipes driven in the ground with the fence tied off to it. lol

9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Long,long, long time ago.
    5 stop mega garbage load.
    17 hour day already getting the first 3 stops off.
    ( yea they were all outlaw back then).

Final 2 stops Detroit, then Toledo.
    Got empty in Detroit about 1am.
    Dead tired.
    Last stop in Toledo was a 24 hour receiver.
    1 hour away. Could have delivered anytime I wanted too.

But I wanted to get that #### off and I had the whole rest of the day to do whatever I wanted.

Last thing I remember was merging onto I-75 south.
    The next time my mind registered anything, I heard
    A female on the CB screaming at everybody to watch
    Out. There was a driver swerving all over the road
    Falling asleep.

I opened my eyes and I was almost in the grass.
    Realizing I couldn't take anymore, I looked at the
    Next exit sign to see how close I was to Toledo.

Next exit was whitmore lake, MI. (WTF).
    Thats 70 miles north of Toledo on highway 23.

I rode the loop all the way around Toledo,
    And kept going north on 23.
    Don't remember any of it.
    I hit the next off ramp and called it a day.
    I could have killed somebody and never
    Remembered what happened.

Better lucky than good sometimes.

10. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2018
    When I used to work overnights at the chemical factory I'd pull the same routine... wake at 2pm friday, work from 4pm until 6am Saturday and not go to sleep until about midnight. Sunday saw me at the (then) in-laws and her dad would start a conversation. She said there were many times I'd be looking right at him with eyes open but snoring too quietly for him to hear.

buddyd157 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted