What's the stupidest thing you've ever had a dispatcher or office rat tell you?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by diesel_weasel, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Dave 1960

Dave 1960 Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    I think I might have mentioned this one but it is related to the above post.

I had gotten a call or qualcomm message (I think call) asking me what trailer I was hooked to. As I had written on the trip sheet I told them the number. "That one is shown in Mexico" Me "Well it obviously isn't in Mexico because it is behind me". Uh huh.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    That I had to find a load and get going. I was at home. Yeah that will happen when I feel like it, not when you tell me.

Another one - I gotta take whatever to get going and not wait for a good paying load! nfrknblvbl!

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  4. Dave 1960

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    Yesterday. I get a text to take 2 crates to an airline. I show up at SDV to get them. They wish to put 5 more ct=rates on me. I call the night dispatch lady and tell her. She says "I know nothing about it so refuse it." Tie down what I have and Flacco comes out and shows me our ticket and is MIGHTY insistent that I take it. So I call her back. While we are on the phone she says "SDV is calling on another line, I'll call you back". She calls back and says ANOTHER office lady took the order and the day dispatcher put it up on the board so we have to take it.

So my question is WHY doesn't she talk to the day guy? Maybe take some notes or something!

This is not the first time I find that they don't communicate with each other.

Frustrating all the same!

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  5. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Do you remember "Driving Miss Daisy". I got to make water, Miss Daisy. I'm a grown man.

6. Cman301

Cman301 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Maryland
    I used to haul dry bulk;& chemicals out of csxyard in Baltimore and I will never forget the memo they put out one winter stating 'in winter you must be extremely careful when walking on catwalks on top of trailers & railcars due to them being slippery due to ice & snow because, you are not allowed to fall as this is against safety regulations,' !! I still laugh every time I think of that memo !

7. nitrogen

nitrogen Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    told dispatcher(who was also branch manager) that I would only have 2 hours left on my 70 when I got home. She goes well I need you to do a 10 hour run tomorrow. (Suuuuuure as long as I can be done in 2 hours.) I have called my wife and asked her to bribe the doctors receptionist to get me in on short notice. tell dispatcher, look I'm houred out, and I have scheduled an emergency appointment with my doctor. truck would have to leave the yard at 5:00 a.m. i would be going past the doctors office about 7:00 my appointment is at 11:00 or later. I won't be back til 7:00 tonight. dispatcher goes well stop and see your doctor on the way up or on your way home. ummmmm usually doctors take you at your appointment time not 4 hours early or late.P.S. the doc suspended my class 1 licence for two weeks due to stress, that load of hazmat would have looked nice on the shoulder by the doctors office with the 4 ways on:)

8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    The longest part of any trip is the three feet between dispatcher's desks.

Gearjammin' Penguin and MNdriver Thank this.
  9. silentlysailing

silentlysailing Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2010
    DFW, TX
    I think one of the funniest for me is that I had a weekend dispatcher tell me to take the truck to Midas to get a tire changed lol. Sure I've had a lot but I think that is the worst, where I broke out laughing.

I can say I will NOT Trust the Midas Touch on my truck!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  10. Dave 1960

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    Today wasn't REALLY stupid or REALLY outrageous......

But first I get pick up at Murphy drop United 3pm cutoff at about 2:15 while still trying to get out of a drop at SDV. So I'm on the way to Murphy and get pick up FMC drop SDV.

Followed pretty shortly by do Murphy first.

My response was "No **** Sherlock". I mean DOH it had a 3PM cutoff......

11. guffman

guffman Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2013
    When I said I didn't want the load because its not profitable and he said "At least your rolling the truck". Still don't think he realizes just how stupid he sounded.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.