When a broker threatens to reduce the rate or Freightguard?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by CCCCCC, Dec 14, 2023.

1. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021

So you were late, but on time, just behind one hour, and phones don't work at 6am? Do you request detention when not unloaded on time?

Well good luck

Iamoverit and PPDCT Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Yes because somewhere in the contract you singed with the broker you agreed to be charged for missed appointments. And one hour late is technically a missed appointment, especially since you didn’t communicate that you’d be an hour late.

4. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Okay, OP, even at $300, this is a cheap lesson. Don't miss appointment times. If you're going to be even close to missing your appointment time, call the broker first, and see what they can do about it, and discuss with them about calling the consignee. Remember, the broker is your customer. Not the shipper, not the consignee.

I'm not sure what your goal here is. You asked us for advice. We've given you advice. You didn't like the advice, and now you're arguing with us about it. If you were one of my carriers and I had to deduct you for a blown appointment (nebulous circumstances or not) and you'd put up this level of shenanigans:

a) you'd be going on the company do not use list
    b) you'd still be eating that deduction and good luck getting it back
    c) the FG would still probably be in play even after that. And I've written a grand total of two freight guards in the past four years.

The issue is firmly yours. The master contract you signed most likely has a clause that reads:

"If Broker receives "charge backs" from consignees due to Carrier's failure to keep delivery appointments or incurs additional costs for expediting shipments due to carrier's failure to meet delivery schedules, Carrier shall reimburse Broker for same."

This is that. Per you:

There are consignees that have strict appointment times. They can, and often do charge back against a blown appointment. Be glad that they worked you in and that you didn't lose the whole day and have to cancel follow on loads.

5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I was answering the question "what would they write on your frieghtgaurd?". My answer has the quality of being true and hard to argue against, which is why they'll write something similar.

Something else for you to consider - it's not always the consignee who is going to be pissed you're late for delivery. Sometimes it will be the shipper - if you're late they have to pay. Walmart will happily accept loads outside the delivery window, and then service fail the shipper.

6. LOTSO

LOTSO Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2023
    What are you talking about? If you are 1 MINUTE LATE on an Amazon load your Performance Score will be affected...:evil3:

7. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    If late charge policy is not in any agreement or rate con can you go after their bond if they won't pay in full?

Lite bug Thanks this.
  8. JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    You can, but it's hit or miss on whether or not it pans out. The bond company will send an email to the broker notifying them that their bond was filed against and asking for any and all documentation they have regarding short payment or non-payment. If the broker was genuinely fined by the customer or had any language at all in their contract or rate con you likely aren't getting paid. But if it was just some jabroni on the floor that took it upon himself to issue the fine, you have a shot at getting paid.

9. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Pretty simple in my world, Don't haul for them pretty easy.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  10. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Deduct part of the freight. Keep the last pallet and tell them that is what we have to charge for a rate reduction.

the true and legal answer to your ? Is what does the contract say about this ?
    Did you read and understand the contract ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.