Where do the vapors go?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Switcher, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Switcher

Switcher Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2016
    I've been learning about tankers and learned that when unloading fuel, there's another hose that directs the fumes from the in-ground tank back into the tanker. So once the process is done, where does the driver unload the vapors?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    The vapors go back through the vapor recovery header, driven by the pressure of the gasoline being bottom loaded.

A hose at the loading rack is hooked to one of the vapor header outlets (usually the rearmost one) and directs the vapors to the flare stack, where they are burned off.

Suspect Zero and Switcher Thank this.
  4. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Depends on what you are doing. If you unloading vapor goes from storage tank to trailer tank. If you are loading vapors going back to storage.

Switcher Thanks this.
  5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Some loading racks have a VRU (vapor recovery unit), but many still send the vapors directly to the combustor.

homeskillet and Switcher Thank this.
  6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Petroleum units with vapor recovery are not vented to the atmosphere. Everything is a closed loop to prevent pollution from vapor emissions since the early 70's. which is also when the stopped top-loading gasoline with a 'spiller' into the manhole. Each compartment was equipped with a vapor outlet in sync with the discharge outlet and a overflow protection float and a special bottom loading adapter.

Bottom loading increased the flow rate 2x or 3x VRS using a spiller making it quicker to load.

Discharge is the opposite, instead of the old atmospheric vent pipes, the storage tank has a double connection for liquid in and vapor out and the connection has two hoses allowing the gas to flow in as the vapor replaces it in the tank preventing a vacuum.

7. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Where do you unload using a vapor recovery system?
    I do aviation fuels, no recovery used. I see gas stations and truck stops don’t use it either.
    Only place we use it is at the loading rack.

Rideandrepair and Switcher Thank this.
  8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    every gas station in NJ since 1978

9. Mattmanstroked

Mattmanstroked Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I see fuel haulers unloading with only one hose. So the vacuum created while unloading the trailer sucks fresh air into the trailer. At least that is how I would assume it works.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    That’s it. Open a vapor recovery fitting and let the air suck in while it unload to keep the compartment from collapsing.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Some gas stations have em. Depends when they were built. I deliver gas to one station that doesn’t have them. They are building a new station a hundred yards to the west. It will have em. The old station will be town down. Twice the work. Two hoses for every tank.

Rideandrepair and Switcher Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.