Whose name goes on receipt.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by CruzControhl2, Apr 15, 2024.

1. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Sales tax and parts/labor discounts. Not a big deal, receipt has the unit number.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The Truckstop shop employees are know it all experts on DOT Law. Add IRS Law to the list. Having to argue about it when paying the bill. That’s a funny story. Especially during Tax season.

CruzControhl2 and wis bang Thank this.
  4. wichris

Jan 17, 2011
    I get O/O's that pay cash on my accounts to get the tax exempt and discounts. The invoice is in my name & account with the note paid cash. The unit number is on the invoice, more than sufficient for the IRS.

5. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    That’s why I subscribe to TTR.. because it’s like watching …As the World Turns ….with America’s most Stupid Tricks

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I would have told her I'm not paying unless it is a legal transaction.

If I paid ahead, I would called the credit card company and discuss it with them, it is a legal issue.
    Yes, I had a bunch of disallowed deductions because the nice IRS examiner said "[..] it looks like the driver paid for the services"

7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    call me next time - I will make you a receipt with any name you want ...literally

8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    For your purposes, I agree BUT the state sales tax auditor would disagree. Some state auditors just love to repeatedly fine the store for tiny infractions like this. This facility may have just experienced a costly audit and the staff hasn't had enough time to forget the butt-chewing over the fines.

We are fortunate that the number of state auditors is insufficient to audit your IFTA as much as supposed to be.

CruzControhl2 Thanks this.
  9. wichris

Jan 17, 2011
    Billing name has to match the tax exempt number. For IRS purpose unit#/vin# will work just fine.
    Same as billing name for discounts.

CruzControhl2 Thanks this.
  10. CruzControhl2

CruzControhl2 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2023
    North America
    Killing two birds with one stone...yes I have my own grease gun and do it sometimes but the ones on the slack adjusters on rear axle are unreachable (on truck)and I was getting a oil change.

11. CruzControhl2

CruzControhl2 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2023
    North America
    I did walk away no issue and I realize a bank statement would suffice for the IRS but it's also personal...having my name on the receipt is a personal mile marker for me and represents all the hard work and sacrifice I put into owning my own truck.
    It reminds me of the reason I chose this path...
    More than once I sat, once a week at Freightliner because I had a starting issue and instead of listening to me (neither the shop or breakdown) because I'm just a driver and not the owner a TA replaced batteries and alternator and it didn't solve the problem but we just wasted almost $2 grand and my time. Then after a week Freightliner didn't fix the problem either.
    Then almost another week at the terminal and fuel lines were replaced and problem persisted.
    My name on the receipt solidifies for me that I'm standing on business and that I'm proud of the sacrifice and hard work I've put in to get where I am. And gives not even the slightest idea that I'm presenting a false receipt.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.