Why am I sitting at home and not driving?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jdrisser, Mar 31, 2020.

1. jdrisser

jdrisser Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2020
    It's a principle thing, not that I wont make it for 6 mos.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Check out pride transport out of SLC .

4. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Do you have any experience or interest in flatbed or hoppers?

5. jdrisser

jdrisser Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2020
    Yes, very interested!

6. jdrisser

jdrisser Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2020
    They want six months exp, but thanks

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    When did Pride start that policy? @Snowshoes has the up-to-date policies.
    ~
    Pride Transport
    Have A CDL and Need Training?
    If you just got your Class A CDL or, maybe you’ve been away from the industry for a while, Pride Transport has got you covered. Pride has paid training and refresher courses. Our programs are custom tailored to each drivers' needs. So whether you’re new or returning, we have what every driver needs to get behind the wheel quickly and, most importantly, safely.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Snowshoes Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  9. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Well since you asked for advice...

You said it yourself, you can't be choosy, yet you are sitting at home because you were just that, choosy. I only have 4 years current experience in trucking, but it didn't take me long to figure that this industry is full of BSers. You have to decide what is more important to you, your principles or a paycheck. If it's the former, then probably best to stop applying as pretty much all starter positions will be riddled with BS that will test those principles. If it's the latter, you have to give a little to get a little.

Don't like being lied to?, stay far away from trucking. Recruiters, Dispatchers, Driver managers, Shippers, Receivers, and especially Freight Brokers make a sport of lying to drivers. The key is to not take it personally i.e don't let your principles dictate how you deal with them. Get in, do a year, make a mental note of who is full of BS then move on and try not to cross paths with that person/company again.Your first job is just to put in time, it isn't to be respected, or be part of a family or feel like you are home. Who cares if some nobody behind window in dispatch doesn't know your name and only thinks of you as a truck number. You are just doing time.

10. jdrisser

jdrisser Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2020
    Redtwin, I think that's great advice. It's really sad that our country is so dependent on an industry that's so dishonest. From the top down. I guess I'll keep hoping to run into one of the few honest ones. Thanks

11. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I wouldn't hold out hope on that. I never worked for a "mega". My first company was a relatively small, 400 tractor outfit. Nationwide, but very much a family owned and run operation. The two owners, brothers, would regularly be seen driving around the yard in their pickups and I have never heard anyone say they were anything less than upfront and honest.

I was still lied to by driver managers and dispatchers, not just lied to, but instructed to outright lie to a broker when asked if I was a team truck (the load had a delivery time on it that could only be run by a team and I was solo). It bothered me at first, I was thinking, these people must really think I am a grade A moron if they expect me to fall for this, but I ignored it, kept on rolling and made very good money for the next 2.5 years.

I don't think I am any less principled than before. I just did what I needed to do to get by.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.