Why are American port drivers being treated so poorly?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TomCougar, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Plebiscites.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    No politics please, no matter how ancient. Also, let's not turn this thread into another union/anti union flame war.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  4. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    I could've been a contender.

Gearjammin' Penguin and REO6205 Thank this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    What a lot of people miss is that robotics are a good thing.

Jobs evolve, they are not replaced. Also as robotics get sophisticated enough you will not even have to work if you dont want to. That day is coming. We may never see it but it will come about.

Wars being fought over the internet are already happening, and they have been happening for some time now. A lot of computer viruses we deal with now are coded by people being funded by eastern governments, writing programs that attack computers using English language packs. We do the same in return.

If you look at what we know about what goes on over the internet, the West is winning. Russian and Chinese computers are harassed far more than western computers.

What has me scratching my head is use buying computer hardware from the Chinese and then using it in our fighter jets. Noe thats scary. We have found backdoors hardcoded in firmware before inside our nice expensive military jets.

6. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Port Elizabeth New Jersey I think the name of the yard Was Meyers could be mistaken, they had like 5 people checking the trailer in, Each was a separate step, Union.

7. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Port Elizabeth NJ, typical longshoremen. Back in the early 80's I took a load of Mustangs there that were bound for Germany. Other drivers told me how they would make the driver do their job while they sat in the warm shed. Being young and full of piss and vinegar in those days my response was we'll see.

When I arrived I already had both barrels loaded and hammers ####ed. They commenced telling me where to bay the units, to open the trunk on every unit and put the invoice on the dash of each respective unit. My reply was ok. I unloaded the entire truck and parked the units in a double row beside my truck with the stack of bills on the dash of the first unit.

When finished I went to the shed and told them the units were ready to be inspected. They repeated all that crap about where to bay them and everything.
    Now it's my turn, I'm a teamster and If I don't get payed for something I don't do it. That is your job not mine. If you want those cars in bay locations you need to do your job. Well we will not sign for them. That's fine with me, it pays the same for me to load them and return to Dearborn as it did to bring them here. Would you like me to call Ford district for further instructions.

That yard crew was madder than hell but they decided I was not bluffing so they went out and did their job.

bzinger and Gearjammin' Penguin Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.