Why Swift gotta watch me piss?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Poconorudy, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    It was R. Lee Ermey's character in Full Metal Jacket who mentioned something about reach arounds and courtesy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gräkken

gräkken Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2020
    same that’s just too bizarre, it’s not like we’re astronauts or something

AModelCat Thanks this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Well, you have that right. BUT, in the case of an official DOT urine test, you will be walking away from more than that drug screen. Refusal to test is just as bad as a positive. All drivers should know what happens next. The collection site will finish the collection chain of custody form and send it to the MRO marked refused to test. The MRO will then add your name to the clearinghouse. At this point, you are disqualified per 382.211 and will remain that way until you finish the SAP program.

General to everybody comment!

I have spoken over the last few years to many safety critters as well as Orientation Instructors who do the pre-employment screens. To a person as @REO6205 said, they hate having to even be present. They also tell me they do NOT watch that close. It's only drivers that are required per 40.67 to be directly observed that are anyway.

Many drivers before the clearinghouse just went on to another carrier. Today with this in place it's not that easy. Remember something very important. Just as some carriers don't fully follow the rules in part 391 some carriers might not follow the rules in parts 382 and 40 as well. If someone at the collection site demands to watch you have two basic options. Go on ahead and provide a sample, or refuse to do so, but stay and DEMAND to speak to a supervisor. Whatever you do DO NOT walk away!

Have drivers walked away from testing? Yes, they have. I spoke to a safety critter I know about this issue several months ago. They told me drivers are told to stay in the security area until testing is finished, if you walk out don't come back. I am going to tag @brian991219 on this in case I missed something!

brian991219 and REO6205 Thank this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i have had that done, due to some surgeries. thank goodness i was "knocked out" when they inserted it.

however, the way the nurse YANKS it out, i was NEVER knocked out, and wished i had been.......

6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    One of the girls that work at the VA hospital on the floor told me about what a Vet asked her once while removing one. He asked her if she felt like having a smoke afterward! I just smiled and let that one pass.

kemosabi49 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  7. RebelChick

RebelChick Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Coastal VA
    Last drug screen I had was in late June. The way our lovely HR manager worded the email made it sound like I had been out due to either being hurt or testing dirty. Which, BTW, I have NEVER had happen. I had been out for 7 weeks because my mother was in hospital. So, I was told I had to be watched. She didn’t really “watch” but stood just the other side of the open bathroom door. I’ve been with my company for 8 years. Until just recently (in the last 3 years), I had 1 test to get hired and 1 test in 2014 when I was out for a month (again with my mothers health). Once our company was bought, I have been tested every 3 months-until recently. Hair, urine, almost hair but took urine, urine, urine, urine. Yeah, you’re not catching me up in that crap. I don’t even drink anymore. Not worth it.

8. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Nope M, you got it all correct. Refusal to test is just as bad as a positive and can be as simole as not being able to provide a specimen or walking outside for a smoke or a phone call. It can be a career ender for sure.

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Hair testing is not recognized by the FMCSA as a valid test, so if they want to do a hair test is would be for internal company reasons, not as a random drug test. Urinalysis is the only valid test.

10. RebelChick

RebelChick Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Coastal VA
    It may not be recognized by FMCSA, but it was a random and there was no urine test done. Right after the company was bought. Apparently it is policy for the company that purchased mine. And it was a botched one at that. I have had one done where you couldn’t tell. This dippy doo took plugs the size of a pencil eraser from 4 different areas and it was very noticeable. I was definitely not happy.

11. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Hair testing is not currently part of the rules set up in part 40. This does not mean a carrier can't do a hair test and even fire you for it coming back positive. It just means an MRO is not supposed to place your name in the clearinghouse. The downside though is when asked later this carrier will report back to a carrier looking to hire you as terminated. About two weeks ago I learned of a guy that lives near Alpine Texas who drove for MVT went to orientation for another carrier and tested positive on a hair test. Went back to work for MVT until his yearly review when MVT discovered that positive. He is out of a job right now. I don't know much more than I just wrote. I just know this guy has gone through a lot of carriers and they all refuse to hire him. I had to research where Alpine Texas is, way out in the Big Bend area.

RebelChick Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.