Working for a O/O: From a students point of view

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by The Challenger, Feb 15, 2010.

1. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    Keep it up man, sounds like youre getting some good experience with NE traffic and such. Good luck!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    We delivered in Massachusetts and got a load going from Farmingdale in Long Island to Bellaire near Ontario Airport. The load was US Mail. Yesterday my boss gets a call saying your appointment has been moved up to 10AM today. We made the delivery and are awaiting orders. It looks like we will be taking a 34 in Ontario at the TA.

I like working for this O/O. He keeps his truck nice and clean and he does not yell at me. He gives me routing on paper so when he sleeps I will not miss an exit. The truck is spacious except for the bostrum seats. I would think seats offer more comfort. Besides that I can not complain about anything.

My expenses per week:

$10 in Cereal
    $7 in break, turkey and yellow american cheese
    $10 in water (I drink about a gallon daily)
    $8 in laundry
    $30 in eating out
    $5 in milk
    Total: $70

Members I have/thought seen:

RickG in Tenn on I40 (you passed me)
    AlanP13 in AZ

In general I found that most people are nice out here and will help you out. In Mass, a driver noticed something wrong with the truck and gave me a hand while my boss was in he receiver office.

KH

Baack Thanks this.
  4. mrsemi05

mrsemi05 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Andover, MN
    man i cant wait to see how this turns out if it works i might try it as well!!!!

5. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    KH sounds like you got a good trainer there. Glad it's working out for ya. You are proving that with some hard work and some motivation and the right attitude you can do anything you want. Keep up the good work.

6. alex94

alex94 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2008
    good ol CG
    great work king hunter. you are AWESOME! how does he get his loads?

7. sierrawayfarer

sierrawayfarer Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Thanks. Going to school next week and I love reading about your experiences.

8. The Challenger

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Ladies and Gents,

I have come off the road for family reasons. I will not go into details for personal reasons. The O/O is a good guy and would not hesitate to run with him as he is a very professional gentleman who knows this business inside and out. Yesterday, I caught a flight home from Ontario to Orlando FL by way of Phoenix and Charlotte. If I decide to go out again I will restart another thread.

Shippers I went too:

Abbott Dietary, Sturgis Michigan: Perishable goods

They require you to unhook your red air line and you are not required to monitor the loading. Very professional and they will wake you nicely unlike some shippers I went too. There is a lot of room to maneuver.

Domino Sugar, Baltimore MD: Sugar

Very tight when backing in and you are required to wait in the warehouse where the door is opened every 5 seconds. Required to unhook red air line.

Pure Pacific Cool, Yuma AZ: Produce

These guys load the pallets side by side. When we got loaded pallets broke due to the forklift driver rushing. Case solved by waiting an additional 2hrs to fix pallets and unload wrong product. I recommend you watch your load being loaded to prevent broken pallets and product. No air line unhooking are necessary. Very good space for backing.

MT Transportation, Farmingdale NY: US Mail

You will alley dock this from the street into one of three or four docks. Signs require you to unhook airline but they were cool with us not doing it.

KH

Baack and jtrnr1951 Thank this.
  9. The Challenger

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    I would love to tell but it would be impolite. I hope you understand and thanks for the compliment.

Sierra,

Good luck. If you need any help, feel free to pm me anytime and I will be happy to contact and assist you with whatever you are having trouble with.

KH

10. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    That sucks KH.. I hope you're able to get things taken care of and get back out on the road..

11. RAG

RAG R.I.P.

Nov 23, 2007
    Tonga
    Best of luck KH
    Sounds like you were doing ok
    Hope you get back out here soon
    rag

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.