XPO Linehaul in Cartersville GA VS. ABF Linehaul in Conley GA

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by jhurle9403, Jul 14, 2018.

1. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    I don't know about ABF, but I know at ODFL it really depends on the terminal. When I first started, it took me about 3 months to get a short bid run, but at least it was a schedule. Then there are other terminals like Greensboro (NC) where drivers might have to wait 5 years to get a solo bid run. They have plenty of team schedules available, and most drivers will do that to hop on a schedule, but they have so many drivers down there compared to the amount of schedules so it takes a while to get a run. Then we've got end of the line terminals where there is no extraboard - new drivers walk into vacant schedules.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    At ABF it depends on the terminal. I quit a bad terminal, but drivers at the good terminals always seemed quite happy.

For my money? ABF is the way to go over XPO, regardless of whether it's a good or bad terminal.

4. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I'd go with any company that doesnt make you work the dock. You'll make more money getting paid mileage than you will working the dock. On the dock you're in the heat/cold, productivity standards, always the potential to screw up and drive a fork through a tote of hazmat material. No thanks.

jhurle9403 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  5. jhurle9403

jhurle9403 Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Centre, AL
    Thanks for all the opinions! I’m happy to say ABF called today, offered me a road driver position, and I accepted.

Excited to start in the LTL world. Frankly I’m not super concerned about if I’m extra board a few years or if it takes a lot time to get a good long run and whatnot. The point is this is a better job than reefer freight at Prime with far better benefits and pay, and the room to grow. I’m sure I’ll be happy at ABF.

6. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Congratulations. ABF is a quality driving job at most terminals. I think you're going to be pretty happy there.

jhurle9403 Thanks this.
  7. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Congrats driver. A far better choice I’m very sad to say.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.