your opinion please... mechanic to owner operator?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by koncrete cowboy, Jun 20, 2013.

1. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    They can be better, but not necessarily... pay close attention to how they treat you, remember you are not applying for a job, you're pursuing business opportunities...

They should offer you a percentage of the gross, it should be a fairly large percentage, they will have to provide you with copies of the rate confirmations.... this is important....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Things you'll want to know,

1. do they pay the cargo/trucking liability insurance?

2. do they provide a fuel card, is there a fee to use the card, are there additional discounts on fuel using the card?

3. what's the deal with the trailer, how much to use their trailer, or do they pay a little less on the percentage to cover the trailer expense?

4. what is the settlement period, for example, are POD's in by Monday paid on Thursday?

In short, what's their angle?

Are they on the level, can you make GOOD money with them.... or are they taking advantage of you??

The business world is a brutal place.

Getting a truck was the first step, but it was a really small step when viewing the big picture....

You can do it, we're all here to help.

4. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Here's what you do have going for you......

1) You can fix a lot of stuff that others can't. ($$$ saver)

2) You will know if someone is competent to work on your truck, and whether or not they're trying to rip you off on the repair. ($$$ saver)

Your experience as a mechanic is something valuable that you bring to the table for your potential business partners....

5. koncrete cowboy

koncrete cowboy Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks trees.!!! Good info .I wrote it down so I dont forget ! You guys are top notch to bad when I started turning wrenches no one helped me like this lol........my first day when I was 19 they sent me to the dealership for a driveshaft strecher.lol.....said it was a required tool

trees Thanks this.
  6. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    When I first started towing, (forever and a day in the past), I was instructed by my boss to go across the street to his brother's truck repair shop and get the "sky hook"..... lol....

A favorite reply when a broken down motorist asked what we thought was wrong was, "it's sounds like your muffler bearing is shot"... lol....

7. koncrete cowboy

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I was sent for a bucket of steam once:biggrin_25523:

8. koncrete cowboy

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    And a metric adjustable. ....them old timers were ruthless the best one was they sent me to the office to get my "free turkey" for thanksgiving. Lol...there wasnone

9. Bulldog power

Bulldog power Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Where at in pa r u located?? The company I pull for is in mount joy. Percentage pay and they offer fuel card and I pull their trailer for now. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info. And good luck with your new venture. At least u got a good truck😄😄

koncrete cowboy Thanks this.
  10. Stone Express

Stone Express Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    I worked in a factory 3 days after getting out of the Air Force in the early 70s, and they told me to count pressed cardboard sheets being cut, and stacked. I was to let them know when the stack got to 600. When I told them they had 600, they showed me an old line drawn on a support post. Yes, that was the 600 sheets line.....

Fortunately, an O/O, called me after the 3rd day and said he was loading for LA, and did I want a job? I had seen a 1969 Pete sitting at his house, did not know him, but just stopped and talk about any way or how to get into trucking. I offered to drive for nothing to get experience, but he was not interesting in hiring anyone. A week later though, he changed his mind, and actually paid me very well running team. That is how I got into trucking.

One phone call, no 2 week notice, and I never looked back......

"And the offer still stands. John 3:16"

11. koncrete cowboy

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Id drive for free to get the 3 mo experience. ...heck ya! Lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.