‘93 W900L A/C issues

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by mile marker 27, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Looking at his bracket, he could adapt it, by drilling 4 holes closer together, or get a whole new piece of channel, and easily make a new bracket to fit a pad mount Sanden. All the conversion kits I’ve seen use an ear mount compressor. I’ve got one of those adapter brackets, I’ll never use. The new SDH7 compressors w/ fused clutches, that still spin, if compressor locks up, only come in pad mount, not ear mount. That’s why I never used it.

mile marker 27 and spsauerland Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    I converted mine to Sanden with an actual Paccar bracket/plumbing conversion kit I bought new off Ebay 4 or 5 yrs ago. Worked slick. Got to the point that all I could seem to find in York were reman. Red Dot or CCI and they were always bad out of balance to start with and never got over 2yrs 250k without a lock up or hammering episode. Bought the Sanden new at Fleetpride for under 300 bucks. Higher BTU and smoother. Not saying the York is bad. Just decided to try new genuine Sanden. There are alot of knock offs out there of both. Just bought a new replacement for 379 from Peterbilt and it was cheap but it is no real Sanden. Holes for pad didn't even line up right....

mile marker 27 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. mile marker 27

mile marker 27 Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Being a farmer as well, the tractors I have had, with the York style compressors, have lasted longer than the other styles. The compressors that John Deere used for years, were junk. IH and early CaseIH used York and in the mid 90’s CaseIH switched to Sanden. Knock on wood but my two CaseIH combine with Sanden’s have held up well.

5. mile marker 27

Dec 4, 2019
    4CF5201E-AC30-44D1-9893-3C3F11C41D44.png I ordered a new expansion valve, drier and trinary switch. In this pic the valves are screwed all the way out. When adding freon to the system do the valves on top of the compressor need turned, in, out, or in the middle? Where do they need be set after the system is full?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I think they’re just shut off valves. No need to touch them at all.

beastr123 Thanks this.
  7. mile marker 27

Dec 4, 2019
    I’m not sure but if you’d screw it in all the way, wouldn’t it close the line and if you backed it all the way out, it’d close the port that goes into the top of the compressor? I’m not sure but they adjust for some reason.

8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I would think if you screw them in, it closes the Compressor and the line off. Screw them out to open them. Normal operation should be out all the way. Nice if changing the compressor, without losing all the Freon. Ideally shut offs at every component would be nice. But more chances for leaks.

mile marker 27 Thanks this.
  9. mile marker 27

Dec 4, 2019
    EBAC2EE9-E599-44A7-8D7B-7B366AEE3C54.png Wanting to replace the trinary switch, that screws into the expansion valve. The labeling has worn off mine and 4 States offers two different ones. The only difference I can see, is that one says, “normally open” and the other says, “normally closed”. Which do I need?

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Look at the old switch. See if you can still read it. Should be NC, or NO, stamped on it. Or maybe the RD#, for reference. Otherwise, a Kenworth Dealer can run your vin #, and get you the right one, or at least tell you, the part#, if they’re out of stock.

mile marker 27 Thanks this.
  11. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Almost positive that screwed all the way out is normal operation. Mid ways is for charging and all the way in shuts line off .
    Also, I know what your saying about f arm tractors and Yorks. Neighbor has a 7700 Ford that was OE York. Was real bad since new about chucking the belt off. Had to have a particular Gates belt that was pricey to keep it on at all. I replaced the tired York with a new one like it and same problem , but worse. I added an idler to the long run of the belt and helped it alot, but after one hay season I made brackets and switched to Sanden. Been 6 yrs ago and still going.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.