02 T800 Horrible Steering Solutions

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by sowers25, Apr 28, 2012.

1. sowers25

sowers25 Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Inwood, WV
    Hello all, I just purchased a 02 T800 tri axle dump truck, its got the cat c12 in it, real low miles (66,000) but the thing takes a football field to turn around. I knew the steering wasn't that tight in it when I test drove it, but after I bought it I quickly realized just how bad it was. I am a pavement contractor and need to get this truck in and out of driveways. The truck has 385 floats on the front and is my first truck with floats so I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference or not. The truck is long 23' bridge law (22' 4" axle to axle). There is a 2' space between the bed and cab. I am considering moving the bed and rears up and cutting off a 2' section of the frame. My question is would that make a big difference in the steering, or is there any other easier solutions?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Sell the truck and purchase a smaller scale truck that works for you and what you do. After major mods it still won't be the truck that you need for your business. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and who knows, you could even make a profit selling it to put toward your next truck purchase.

4. dave26027

dave26027 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Before you make those mods, check the stops for the steering.

Behind each steer axle wheel end (on most, but not ALL trucks) is a bolt that acts as a stop for the wheels. It's adjustable. See if your front axle is equipped with stops- look for a bolt sticking out that strikes the steer knuckles- you can loosen the nut at the base and run the bolt in to get a few more degrees of turning- or run it out to keep the steer tire sidewalls away from fuel filters and brake lines.

I always run them in as far as possible.

A phone call to a KW service desk could save some money- describe the problem and ask if the turning radius is adjustable.

If you bought a used unit someone may have made their own adjustments to the front end to protect tires and fuel filters.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  5. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    I would say the stops are set where they are for proper clearance, with running a wide base tire your not going to be able to turn as sharp, it you do adjust the stops you need to take care to make sure the tires do not hit the spring packs at full lock, you could possibly crack the frame if the tire contacts the spring pack.

Also, almost every set back axle KW I have been in turns exceptionally well, my 240" t600 will turn inside of my 190" cabover.

6. sowers25

sowers25 Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Inwood, WV
    I took the steering stops completely out, even with the floats on the front I have good clearance on the tires. It is like a brand new truck, steers better than my mack tri axle which is almost 3 ft shorter wheelbase.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.