04 4200 6.0 problem

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Zoran_savic, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Zoran_savic

Zoran_savic Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2017
    05 4200 vt365 6.0

So I just got this truck back from a lease couple months ago.

Wouldn't start so I went ahead put a new hpop in it, oil cooler deleted egr and put two New injectors cause the plugs were destroyed, has new crank and cam position sensor, icp, and ipr valve.

So got all that done truck wouldn't idle, finally we figured out the harness was bad. Went ahead and put a new harness on it and truck was running great!!

We had plans to take the turbo off and clean it cause these turbos get bad with dirt. Well right before I did that I tried to fire it up and cranking and then all of a sudden it stops cranking I try again and hear a relay click in the fuse box. I go out side and see the starter relay is clicking and it's not.
    I take the relay apart and click it manually and then it works fine and turns the starter over. I put a diff relay init to see if it was a bad relay and it was good did the same thing
    I also notice I'm not getting any injector clatter I have 12 and 48 Volts on a 4 pin ficm. No check engine codes,But does have a check elec system light.

I also did notice when it was running it wouldn't let me turn the pto on so now
    I'm thinking the transmission is not letting it crank. What are your guys opinions of where I should start.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I don't think the ECM is powering up at key on. You should be hearing the injector coils cycle. The electrical fault is caused from communication problems when other modules cannot communicate with the engine. The ECM allows the starter to crank. If the ECM does not boot up, then it will not crank. It also needs to see a valid signal from the transmission too, but a faulty transmission will not cause the injectors to not precycle. It is common for the 40 amp fuse in the battery box to melt due to a bad connection, or one of main ECM power feed connectors along the power harness. Also, that fuse/relay box at the firewall is bad for corrosion underneath too. Check your engine relays there along with the 5 amp ignition fuse for the ECM too.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Some of them have multiple connectors on multiple wires from the batteries to the cab and or starter. Finally started cutting them all out. I use heat shrink connectors that some people do not like. Before I shrink them I pull on the wires on each side. If you can pull them apart it did not have a good crimp. Then heat shrink it. Works for me, solder is better but time consuming.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.