'04 ISX Volvo Multiplexing dead

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by MobiusDiesel, Jan 22, 2013.

1. MobiusDiesel

MobiusDiesel Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Question: the terminating resistors in CAN are showing .05 Ohm each. green/yellow resistance showing .057 Ohm, Black twisted pair showing 2.3 Ohm.
    according to Insite troubleshooting this isn't what it should be? Using outdated software and ECM hasn't been flashed to updated version.

What are your thoughts? Any common problem areas with data wiring? 2004 cm870 volvo with ISX

Truck has brand new VECU installed, still same issue with multiplexing pgn timeout fault

Could really use some VECU pin diagrams if possible for re-wire of entire data-link system, can't find any ion VCADS or Insite

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MobiusDiesel

Jan 22, 2013
    Ordered new terminating resistors today, *cross fingers*

4. MobiusDiesel

Jan 22, 2013
    New resistors did not fix, still no communication with vecu, light ecu, brake ecu, srs ecu. I am at my wits end with this issue, any suggestions?

Engine runs but has no accelerator, truck ran good until it died on road with broken ground wire at starter.

SAE J1939 Multiplexing PGN Timeout Error - Abnormal updat rate - SID:231, J1587 FMI:9, J1939 FMI:9, SPN: 639.
    Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit - Data erratic intermittent or incorrect - PID:84, J1587 FMI:2, J1939 FMI:2, SPN 84.

Replaced VSS - still active code

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  5. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Can resistance is 60 ohm. CAN is short.

6. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    usually it is frame problem, separate FCMC connector and check resistance in 9-pin connector. Usuallt TPMS ore ABS/EBS unit area wires are damaged ore water inside modules

MobiusDiesel Thanks this.
  7. MobiusDiesel

Jan 22, 2013
    Will test this tonight, also replacing ECM with brand new test ECM.
    The TPS tested good, is the ABS/EBS Module grounded to frame?

FCMC connector? maybe it is named different here, what does that stand for?

3am - Found small ground wire on frame ground stud next to starter, removed wire and tested between that wire and engine block 160ohm. I'm not sure what the ABS/EBS module is rated for but that sounds really high, going to remove ground from module next and test ground wire to make sure it isn't just the wire being bad.

4am - Replaced ECM, replaced ground wire to ABS/EBS Module, still same active faults. If I had more hair I would be pulling it out.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  8. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    MCFC is connector on firewall. OK, cut CAN wires, keep engine ECM connected to MCFC connector only....!

9. MobiusDiesel

Jan 22, 2013
    yikes, i see why you recommend cutting can out, however I have new information, the multiplexing codes go INACTIVE every 30 seconds and only stay ACTIVE for roughly 5 seconds. I will go over power supply before I cut anything. Need approval to cut twisted pair in this case owner is now getting $$$ sensitive.

Checked all power and ground supply ok, vecu as well. Going to leave this for Monday, have a good weekend.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. MobiusDiesel

Jan 22, 2013
    After consulting with Cummins and Volvo over phone, it looks like there will be a new cab harness ordered soon, however this harness can only be found in France, 6 month delivery time and there is still a chance it wont fix the issue. I am sure there are cheaper ways to deal with this, like have a tech spend every single day replacing single wires until the issue is fixed.

Note this, if you buy a Volvo, don't ignore ANY dash messages, get them fixed ASAP or this issue could happen to you.

This truck has been driven with a bad light control module, bad ABS/EBS module, bad VECU, and numerous oil leaks for months on end without repairs.

Now this unit cannot make money for the next 6-8 months.
    And when it does get fixed, this is only the beginning, going to have to get everything else fixed to pass safety.

A well taken care of Volvo may very well be the best Truck on the road in my opinion, all you have to do is regular maintenance.

11. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    usually bad wiring. It is Volvo

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.