'04 ISX Volvo Multiplexing dead

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by MobiusDiesel, Jan 22, 2013.

1. maniaq

maniaq Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2010
    first of all, i suggest to disconnect the batteries before mesure data link resistance, some time aftermarket stuff can make data link active at key off, disconnect all module that work on 1939 , and install a know good engine ecm with j1939 multiplex parameters programmed and vss parameters on datalink tail shaft. and should run

MobiusDiesel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MobiusDiesel

MobiusDiesel Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Been there done that, its actually the first thing I did. The strange thing is the CAN is perfectly fine, 60 Ohm, no shorts, power supply fine to all modules, and grounds are fine. Did the ECM swap last week with same codes intermittant. This has to be a short in the 400-401 wiring, finding the bad wire is another story when there is 400ft of it in the cab alone.

4. maniaq

maniaq Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2010
    if you can read the fault codes in your cluster, j1587 is working, cluster request diagnostic via 1587(400-401 twisted pair), if your fuel pedal is not responding or very long to respond the 1939 wrong. when you swap ecm, you mean engine ecm ? hope the ecm you swap coming from a volvo truck with multiplex

5. MobiusDiesel

Jan 22, 2013
    Can't read codes from cluster except "engine" ecu, all else dead, fuel pedal not responding at all, but 1937 is ok.
    Yes : Swapped engine ECM, and replaced VECU, from volvo truck with multiplexing. parameters set properly and all else good.

cut out the CAN from diagnostic link 9 pin connector, connected cummins insite, still showing same codes. I think this tells me it a J1587 issue. However I can't figure out why the CAN isn't working. The J1587 will only transmit diagnostic information if the CAN fails to transmit diagnostic information or is this wrong?

I am about to replace the CAN completely, Even though it has tested ok I have to start eliminating all possible causes.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  6. MobiusDiesel

Jan 22, 2013
    After replacing some questionable wire connectors in the EECU harness at firewall I decided to disable some multiplexing functions in the EECU parameters, disable/check for codes, kept this up until I set "Idle Validation" to disabled causing J1939 Multiplexing fault to go completely inactive, and it stayed inactive until I enabled it.

Checking circuit now... stay tuned

7. MobiusDiesel

Jan 22, 2013
    Found broken "looks cut" wire #567-c under fuse panel, repaired wire and found the relay it was going to was bad, replaced relay and now circuit functioning perfectly, this relay was for engine management circuit. I'm very happy this is over with, truck revv's up like a champ.

Now I have to figure out why there is no light signal to trailer light-cord, and no brake lights in both trailer-cord and truck.
    Also the vehicle speed sensor keeps acting up, had it working fine yesterday when I installed a new sensor, tried it today and again sensor is dead. 3rd bloody sensor in this thing in last 2 months. Something must be shorting it out.

Later in the night: found VSS wire shorting on bottom of cab where the bodybuilder harness goes into floor of cab, repaired and now that problem is fixed.

Truck brake lights fixed as well, removed all weather-pack terminals in harness which were loose and corroded.

Trailer cord another story, I'm thinking the LCM is NOT powering the relays to the cord.
    MID216, PSID53, FMI6
    MID216, PSID51, FMI4
    MID216, PSID12, FMI4

12AM: Power to relays ok, but no signal voltage.
    Checking grounds now... stay tuned

2AM: GOING TO WENDY'S FOR A BACONATOR!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    mrtrdrvr Thanks this.
  8. MobiusDiesel

Jan 22, 2013
    Found interior ground for trailer cord not properly grounding, by-passed ground circuit to new ground on frame, also noticed auxilliary circuit for trailer cord not being switched by LCM properly, by-passed this as well, everything working perfect!

Would like to thank Thetruckersreport.com for allowing me to post this information, hopefully if someone has similar issues the posts I have contributed will help them.

mrtrdrvr and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  9. mrtrdrvr

mrtrdrvr Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Indian River ,MI
    Thank you Mobius for the blow by blow reporting, this is good info!

MobiusDiesel Thanks this.
  10. JOHNDEERE

JOHNDEERE Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2013
    please check fuse F81 and relay RLY04, change if broken, both of them carry energy to VECU, that control all the multiplexing system, including accelerator, also chek if there are energy 12vcd in pin 86 and 30 in relay RLY04, if not then check for wire to ground

11. romaca01

romaca01 Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Hi MobiusDiesel, I was reading your post about the problem you were having with Volvo with ISX engine. I am having the same issue with a 2007 Volvo with an ISX. You didn't post if replacing the cab harness repaired the problem. I am still stuck with unit not accelerating and same active codes you had, multiplexing device PNG time out. Please any information would help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.