06 kw t600

Discussion in 'Trucker Forum Classifieds & Trading Post' started by wideload, Dec 28, 2012.

1. RTR

RTR Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Alabama
    675k mi but still working every day
    c15 caterpiller set at 475hp
    13sp
    3.33 rear gears
    72" aerodyne sleeper
    averaging 6.5mpg if it doesnt idle

Man what is your secret???????

I have the same setup (Former Melton 07 T600 Cat C-15 Truck, HP at 435, have been avg 5.5, not able to figure this out as I thought I would get easy 6.2 to 6.5. Have apu on truck so it never idles, got 22.5 low pro on tires as well. Sure would be TICKLED if I could get 6.5.

Before this I had 03 W900L, C 15, 475 and it avg 6.2 to 6.5, was geared higher and not areo designed at all. I have had the current one since Feb of 12 and not been happy with the mpg for sure.

Hate to hear your giving it up, would sure love to hear advice and or suggestions on how maybe I could get it up there as well. I haul flatbed, Covered Wagon.

I have heard you have to drive the Acert engines different, but I have not found out the right way to do this. I drive 90% of freeway and keep it between 1325 to 1400 rpms, 63 to 66 mph.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Turn it up to 500 or so and see what the mileage is.

4. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Maybe he sold it, he hasn't been on here for a week.

volvodriver01 Thanks this.
  5. wideload

wideload Heavy Load Member

Sep 1, 2012
    in the granny lane
    i am still around, just been very busy moving.

the accert fuel mileage is all over, i cant get two tanks together to average the same. you have to average it over a long period of time or it will drive you nuts. when i got the truck i was getting 4.5.

i pulled out the cat coverter/muffler underneath and replaced it with straight pipe and an 18" resonator. the acert is super quiet with two turbos, cant even tell its straight.piped and the res takes the rasp out of the exh note.

get the overhead ran

all syn fluids

drive it like you have an egg under the pedal.

i run shaffers fuel treatment and it makes a huge difference in fuel mileage and i will swear by it.

i also choose my own loads and tend to stay fairly light. the load i just delivered was a crate 8' x8', 4' high and weighed 2500lbs. i got almost 9mpg. it all averages out.

idling KILLS this motors fuel mileage though

6. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    It shouldn't take more than .2 off the average per ten hours of idling. I've driven 4 or 5 trucks with that engine and the worst got 5.9. The t800 I drove for over a year had a 475 turned up to 595 (maxed out) and it got 6.5 with me idling all the time. One of the t600's at another place I worked recently got 7.3 at 72mph (all the others were set at 65mph with the power turned down to ~400). Those idled all the time with no apu's on them. Somebody had Dr Diesel turn that one up or something. Identical truck, same year.

That's without going into custom ecm's or any of the other aftermarket stuff you can have done. Anyway, I wouldn't let the mileage worry you if you're considering buying this truck. Those engines are near bulletproof, never had a problem out of any of the ones I've driven.

7. wideload

Sep 1, 2012
    in the granny lane
    I think for an 06 688mi is low. maybe it's just me but if I had owned it that whole time it would have a heck of a lot more on it This trk also had an apu until I bought it so the idle time on the motor is very low. but it doesn't much matter, it will probably end up going back to the bank, it's been a hard few months.

If anyone wants it I would take $25k for it with all the flatbed gear if you get it before the bank does. that's payoff and enough to get me and the truck home so that's all I can do.

I have to send the funds to the lender to get the title overnighted to me. I thought I had it sold this month but the guy didn't like the fact that I had to send off for the title even though I was going to give him the truck and a bill of sale and send him the title. I just need to get back to Louisville to drop the trl at the yard and you can pick it up in TX.

8. carrkool

carrkool Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2012
    adah, pa
    are you interseted in selling that headache rack and the chains and binders. let me know me and my dad are looking for that style. i know you are working it till the end so when ever that comes let us know if it goes with the truck or if you take it off. or if the buyer wants to sell it.

9. wideload

Sep 1, 2012
    in the granny lane
    the headache rack is old. its functional but i removed the locks from the handles. it needs three new handle assemblies if you want to lock it. it needs some aluminum welding here and there also and some rubber foam put around the doors to stop it from rattling.
    i dont really plqn to remove it. i dont have help or time and the air lines are ran through it and the tractor protection valve mounted to the backside of it. its staying on the trk, if it sells and they dont want it mabey something could be worked out. but as of now i'm not messing with it.

10. wideload

Sep 1, 2012
    in the granny lane
    i hate tire kickers. id almost rather let it get repod then deal with selling it

11. DONDAMIAN

DONDAMIAN Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2013
    nj
    Do you still have the truck the trailer and the gear and what would you have to have for everything

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.