07 387 automatic transmission

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by BabieH, Apr 23, 2012.

1. BabieH

BabieH Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Ok...dealership says transmission went out because there was no transmission fluid in it. Where do I check that as a drvr doing a pretrip? I haven't seen a dipstick.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Graglor

Graglor Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Langley, bc.
    There is usually a site glass on the passenger side of the drain pan if it's an allison. Still, there should be a fill tube coming up from that side of the transmission as well and may also have a dip stick in it.

4. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    You can't check it unless you climb under the truck, take the fill plug out, then stick your finger in the hole to see if the fluid is level with the opening.

This is something the service techs should do when doing a PM on the truck. If there is a bad seal or leak, the driver should know enough to notice fluid leaking on the chassis during a pre-trip, and find where the leak is.

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    It depends on where the leak is, there are coolers mounted remotely with lines running to them.

It wont leak unless you are running and then the dripping is on the road. service techs should check it, but things don't always get done. There is a filler plug that needs to be checked on manual and automated transmissions as told by the stranger.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  6. chriss3037

chriss3037 Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2017
    I have a 2010 peterbilt 387 I-Shift and my curiae control and engine break isn't working the lights come on when I hit switch but it not engaging. Can so one please help

7. houstone

houstone Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I have the same problem with my 2010 peterbilt 387..Did you figure it out?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.