07 9900i voltage issue

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by wconner, Jun 21, 2015.

1. North country

North country Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2015
    I have same issue where is that feed

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. North country

North country Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2015

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Check at your batteries. The ECM feed will be a 2 or 3 wire separate power and ground feed to the ECM.

6. Lowriderred

Lowriderred Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2016
    My 07 was doing the same thing. Was a loose connection on a battery.

wconner Thanks this.
  7. wconner

wconner Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2015
    annapolis, md
    That was the first place I checked. The last time I had it in the cat shop they recommended that the whole harness be replaced, It is old and brittle. That may be where the problem lies.

8. wconner

wconner Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2015
    annapolis, md
    Great news, I found the problem. The other day the truck wouldn't start. The Cat Messenger was showing "NO DATA LINK CONNECTION". I went straight to the battery box, gotta start somewhere. The 2 fuse's in the ECM power feed were blown. I replaced both, plugged it back in and they blew instantly, started searching for a short. I found the wire laying on top of the air tank behind the fuel tank completely out of sight. The clamp on the air tank rubbed thru the feed and shorted one of the hot leads. Fixed the short and tied the feed back up with the rest if the harness where it belonged, truck started like it should.

The volt meter problem went away. The feed laying on top of the air tank caused the problem.

The feed wire is not shielded, electric current causes a magnetic field, laying on the steel tank was causing the volt meter to show a major draw under a heavy load.
    Thanks for all the help everyone offered !!!

Heavyd and gunner76 Thank this.
  9. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    good to know wconner. I'm going to check my truck tomorrow since I'm still having issues. I got the NO DATA LINK CONNECTION message on my CAT ID a couple of times last month but have never had a no start issue.

10. Antonovich

Antonovich Light Load Member

May 11, 2019
    Gonna resurrect this old thread because I'm having a similar problem on an 07 9400i with a C-15. Within the last couple of months it only happened twice for several hours. Idles normally around 13.7 V, under load my voltage drops to around 12V, and under full load it would sometimes drop under 10V. Today it dropped to about 10.5 and the engine simply died while I was on a highway. When I pulled over and restarted the engine, it started up just fine but my voltage continues to drop under load.

The 1st time this happened it lasted about 4 hours and whenever my voltage dropped under 10V the engine would sometimes limp and reduce power, but it didn't die that time. After a few hours the problem just went away and the truck drove fine for a few weeks. It started happening again today.

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Ok, did you read this thread? Your engine is feed power the same way. The voltage gets it's data from the engine.

Karl Childers Thanks this.
  12. woolybully35us

woolybully35us Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    ks
    had the same problem found a bad place in the wire .i spliced it together for a temp fix. dose any body know the part number for the harness that runs from the batterys to the ecm plug in at the starter. 2006 international 9900i cummins isx. the steelier ship will want a arm an a leg for it. thought i would try to find it on line thanks.

• Truckers Report Jobs