07 Freightliner Columbia Headlight replacement

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Ryan Milkowsky, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Ryan Milkowsky

Ryan Milkowsky Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi all, i hope my words find you in good fortune and health. For a while now i have been itching to get a pair of projector led headlights for the truck, more precisely these:
    [Plank Style LED DRL] For 1996-2015 Freightliner Columbia Black Headlights Pair | eBay

[​IMG]

Now, first off if any of you have them, please post some pictures because i can not find any of how they look on the trucks. Also if you know where to get them cheaper let me know.

My question is this: i haven't got them yet because my bolts holding the old ones are rusted, and i pretty sure if i try to remove them they will break. I was wondering if anyone had this problem, and how these bolts are mounted - meaning when they break how hard is to replace them? I found some instructions see pic below

[​IMG]

So worst case, i take em off they snap in half, what then?

Thank you all in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ryan Milkowsky

Jan 28, 2016
    Detroit, Michigan
  4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Drill them out and re-tap. Then replace with stainless.

Are you sure you want those on your truck? Reason I ask is that I see you're from Detroit. So, I assume, maybe wrongly, that you'll be seeing a lot of winter driving. LED lights are known for not creating enough heat to melt snow and ice. Which creates a safety issue. Just something to think about, if you haven't already.

Ryan Milkowsky Thanks this.
  5. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I replaced them on my 07 Columbia and yes one of the bolts did break but it broke right at the nut so it just fell out. It’s simple to replace and I’m not anywhere near being a mechanic!!

No I didn’t have these lights though..

6. Ryan Milkowsky

Jan 28, 2016
    Detroit, Michigan
    I did not, thank you for bringing that up. Maybe ill save myself a lot of trouble just sticking with stock and cleaning them.

7. Ryan Milkowsky

Jan 28, 2016
    Detroit, Michigan
    Thank you!

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  8. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Replacing the bolts wasn’t difficult, but I’d recommend using some rubber bushings for vibration. There are two wires you’ll have to tap into the existing harness.

9. Ryan Milkowsky

Jan 28, 2016
    Detroit, Michigan
    Thats a nice idea! Yup my plan was to use the ground and power from the position lights so anytime i have them on the led would be on too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.