07 peterbilt 386.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by tnpete, Jul 21, 2017.

1. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Looking at a 386, guy told me it needs a new head. It has a C13 cat in it, and oil pressure is dropping after it runs a few minutes. Can a head cause this? Or would it be the cam screwed up the head?
    Being I know nothing about a C13. I'm lost on this one for sure. Had a guy tell me to just buy the truck. Then swap out the cat for a ISX? Can it be that easy to swap in a ISX for the cat? I know it came with both. so guessing if I had the wiring harness from the 386 and then the ISX may be a easy swap.
    Also Truck has 800,000 miles on it. And from the pics is still in great shape.
    Pete

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I would figure it like this.
    Can you afford to buy this and have all the repairs done with no income from it for 60 days?
    What would it cost to buy a used engine with a warranty installed? Power brand changes always cost more. If that is not in your buget don't even start. Pics can lie!

EdwinTheGreat218 Thanks this.
  4. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    The wait time would be no issue. Found a motor and trans, at a steal. Papers on the in-frame last year. Truck was ran 65000 miles, then caught on fire. Burned the cab, engine was ok. Would love to try this build. Also found a place that makes the wiring harness for the swap. But feel the guy is just asking more then the 386 is worth. If it did not have the C13 in it. I would have had it home 3 weeks ago. AS if it had the ISX I would just do a in-frame on it. And run it until I'm done with it.
    Keep looking for a 384 small sleeper and small engine. That way the weight is low on the truck. May even just single it out now. As in 2 years what every I get will be singled out. Then used to pull a RV for a while. Will be hauling almost a empty trailer with what ever I get. As load will only weigh around 5000 lbs.
    Pete

5. Lazman

Lazman Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I don't believe the head is the cause . C13 cam is lower mid engine . You are probably due for cam bearings and rod and main bearings. You might as well do an inframe with those miles . Also I would remove the oil filter first and drain it then cut filter all the way around the top so you can separate it and pull the paper and check it for metal. A spun bearing can also cause low oil pressure and that's what I ran into from experience. Just saying . Also I have seen a oil change and filter change cure this problem be sure to get an oil sample. Hope this helps

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.