09 D13 loses power pulling, no codes

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by neverhome79, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Knighthawk1

Knighthawk1 Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2015

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Knighthawk1

Knighthawk1 Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2015
    This makes sense actually. I've been having problems pulling hills. I have a 2010 Volvo D13 485. I was getting a code, but Volvo change my Nox sensor. Help a bit, but still my truck is sputtering up hills and losing power. I ran cleaner in system changed fuel filter, then few weeks back before that I stopped at a loves tire center. I've been getting what looked like dirt from the bleed off fuel heater. I notice what looked like real small piecescurved shape pieces of rubber or plastic. When the mechanic replaced my filter he also took apart my fuel heater and clean the screen. He drained a little bit too and got some of the sane stuff I did. He told me that it looked like pieces of a fuel line. He thought maybe my line had been replaced and they used rubber instead of the oem type and it was collapsing. Also when he took off the filter, it was very hard like it had been under loss of pressure. So instead of my injectors being bad, I think out might be the lines inside of the tank like you repaired. Thanks for the info. I will try that first.

4. M&KMIKE

M&KMIKE Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Check the egr pressure differential sensor. It's mounted on the front of the venturi pipe going up after the EGR cooler. Remove it, check to see that the ports are clear, check the connector for fretting (the wire shakes due to the air from the van, causing the electrical connector to vibrate and wiggle on the sensor, wearing the terminals, and causing them to become loose, along with what looks like rust dust in the connector). They make a replacement pigtail to change to the sensor with a new style connector. Due to the same movement from the air from the fan, it's also extremely common for the wires on the new style sensor to rub together and chafe insulation off, causing incorrect readings from the sensor. If the engine doesn't see the correct EGR flow, it'll derate, lose boost, stutter, etc.

Checking that sensor is one of the first symptom based troubleshooting steps for your issue, and should always be done prior to injector replacement.

5. MCMILLONJR

MCMILLONJR Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Hey fellas, I have a 99 volvo D13 engine.. not to mention I have 960093 miles on her, yesterday I noticed once under a load I lose power.. any suggestions on what could be the issue?

6. moonerman

moonerman Bobtail Member

May 29, 2013
    My 07 volvo with the Cummins runs like I'm loaded when I'm empty. Been regening a few times a day lately. Check engine light comes on then goes off 10 minutes later. My motor doesn't require def but I do have dpf

7. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Should open new thread as different motor

8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I was told the 7th injector is fed compressor air with fuel and if you don't service your air dryer yearly you risk water contamination failure of the AHI ......?

Newto Trucking Thanks this.
  9. SJ Trucking

SJ Trucking Bobtail Member

May 3, 2018
    Need advice on a 2007 D13 sputtering on uphill pulls. The DPF systems is completely new, new style conical injectors are in the engine. A new EGR valve was installed not long ago. The fuel is kinda dark at the fuel/water separator so I’m thinking maybe fuel lines are possibly deteriorating and restricting flow. Otherwise, I’m lost at what else to check. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thx!

10. markster1957

markster1957 Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2014
    boise id
    Have your fuel check for air , we had installed new injectors leaking combustion

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. MaxzRig

MaxzRig Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2010
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    PLZ HELP!!!
    Im having the same problem with '2013 D13. It SHAKES outright during 1350-1500RPM. Loss of pwr, not able to even get to 65 mph even when empty. I'm going to Volvo & get diagnostics this week. But for now I'm hearing the injectors are the main problem, only 313,000 miles and just bought it in Fontana at a dlr there. (I noticed it in a subtle way, brought it up to the dealer & asked "did you fix it"??? "YUP' the liar says!!!
    I dont want to spend up all my warantee funds up on injectors & find that it's something else! Will have them to check the tank lines for sure!!
    Thanks in advance for your ideas...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.