09 Maxxforce Dt Electrical Problems

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by butsie81, Sep 22, 2018.

1. butsie81

butsie81 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Louisiana
    Hi All! New to this forum. I'm grabbing for straws at this point. I have a 2009 IC CE300 school bus with a Maxxforce Dt engine, Allison 3000 transmission. Bus has 105xxx miles on it. Where I am we are owner operators ;( The bus broke a little over a month ago it just randomly was shutting off so I brought it in. I bring it to the local international dealership here. They said a fuse fixed it and went on my way two days later it began behaving weird all sorts of lights coming on the dash, brought it into the international place here and they diagnosed it with a bad ECM, replaced ECM.(ECM had burnt pins on the gray plug) Bus was still just randomly shutting off and crank right back up. I did notice that when you first click the key on there was an * that said low coolant level and it would just disappear. The dealership said I had a bad engine harness, replaced the wires in the harness. Picked bus up, kept doing same thing. They've checked ground wires, harnesses, ICP etc and can't find anything wrong. When its placed on the computer, they get no fault codes. All levels of everything are perfect (oil, fuel, etc etc). They seriously told me that had no clue what was wrong and have been in contact with Navistar. Last communication I had with them was that they've ruled out a harness issue that it has to be a circuit issue but theres 200 circuits. They tell them test this that etc and it comes out normal. I'm at my ropes end as I've had to rent a bus daily until mine is fixed, plus the note that I'm paying on mine while it sits in the shop. It has been sitting now for a month. Anyone experience this? I'm ready to throw the entire bus away but I can't ;(

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Ok first, the low coolant message is normal, just a start up thing. If the unit is logging no codes, then it must be losing ignition power. If the engine is shutting off without the key turned off, then the body controller, abs and cluster will be logging codes for loss of communication with engine controller. Check all your ignition related fuses in the side electrical hatch to make sure everything is ok and not corroded. At that point, you might have to get it running, and then start wiggling wires all over unit you find the bad spot and the engine shuts down.

butsie81 and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  4. butsie81

butsie81 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Louisiana
    Thanks I'll have them check that tomorrow morning. They(dealership) told me they checked all wiring. My husband believes it's something with the ignition. One thing I notice when it just kills is the yellow triangle comes on and then it says Warn Engine, low coolant will flash, then back to Warn engine. Will update as soon as I know something.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Since the "Low Coolant" is a start up message, that further points to the engine losing ignition power when this happening. The dealer may have been only looking at battery power, not ignition.

butsie81 Thanks this.
  6. butsie81

butsie81 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Louisiana
    Picked it up today didn’t go 3 miles before it killed. Guys came back met me with computer gave out code- bank a open.coil short? Crazy thing is I have this 2 way radio and gps tracking thing the school board installed; thing has been on in bus all weekend without keys in ignition. If I cut bus off it still doesn’t go off!! It’s supposedly wired correctly idk will keep updated. This killing was happening prior to new ecm!!

Heavyd Thanks this.
  7. Catdiesel12

Catdiesel12 Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Did you ever figure out the issue with this bus? Have one doing the same thing.

8. Catdiesel12

Jan 27, 2021
    @Heavyd 2013 ic with maxxforce 10 intermittent shut off. Sometimes cranks back sometimes it won’t. Have replaced a lot of parts and still doing same thing. Any help would be appreciated.

9. Catdiesel12

Jan 27, 2021
    just need help gotta get 7 posts

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    In situations like yours, the laptop is the first tool I grab. You are dealing with an electronic engine so you need to know if any codes are getting logged. After that, you can monitor many engine parameters such as fuel pressure, ICP pressure, battery voltage and so on also with the computer. Without taking those steps you will continue to blindly throw money and parts at it until something sticks. Your next move is to get this scanned to see what is getting logged.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.