09 prostar a/c replaced everything still not working

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by radicastuff, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    There are also all sorts of pass-thoughs for air lines, clutch linkage and steering column in that area too. So there may be a ripped open seal that is letting hot air in from the firewall. Also a whole plug might have fallen out somewhere. If you get a big flood light, open the hood and put it near the firewall and check if you can see and light coming through anywhere around your pedals. You might have to remove the kick panel to see.
    As far as your ac problem, the thermistors, (not thermostats), could be the issue, but not likely when you have to cycle the key to get the system working again. Usually once they read in error, that is it for a long time until they read properly again. Usually it is the high pressure sensor that faults this way. Once a high pressure fault is triggered the body controller shuts down the compressor It stays active until you cycle the key. Then it goes inactive and the body controller will allow the ac to work. You can see all this with the proper diagnostic software. Also, another funny problem is that the compressor is getting power, but once the clutch heats up from the engine, it won't engage anymore. Again, you can see how much amperage the compressor is drawing from the body controller with the proper software. In all honestly, these are extremely easy to diagnose and repair with the right tools and information. I hope you find your problem. Good luck!

wheelman666 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wheelman666

wheelman666 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    >> I also hope, spent the whole summer with no AC and spending money. and supposedly they did hook up the laptop, but now that i am more informed when i get back to the shop this time, we are goig to have a talk as to just what they have done and charged me for.

Ill try the flood light idea and look for light to find my heat source and see, thanks.

Are you knowledgeable about a lot of the Prostar? because i have a few things to track down.
    Next on my list is the sleeper. No fan at all. and on the dash/ cab control when i try to increase/decrease fan speed, all i get is a blank line indicator for fan speed or temp. the "indicator" is not there on the dash. I do have an APU, but that should be separate, correct? I want get the fan working first, then ill go after the rear AC and Heater systems.

4. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    And therein lies the problem... how much do these tools and software cost? Does computer controlled AC work any better than analog switch controlled AC? Nope... it just takes the diagnostic capability away from the end user. Unless, that is, the end user wants to spend a #### ton of money on the "proper" diagnostic equipment.

5. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Most of the diagnostic software and a laptop would cost less than one trip to the stealership.

6. wheelman666

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    Is the DLA software and laptop the only way to monitor, diagnosis and trouble shoot the Prostar? is there anything else out there that can give us on the fly reports?
    I know cars have plug and read stuff for the android, yes its cars i know, but does anyone make anything for a truck??
    and what else will the DLA software do?? is it just for AC or is it the whole truck?
    if its everything, it just might be worth the $800 - Fagonaz is right, it would be less than a trip to dealership that doesn't know what the heck its doing, which sounds like WAY to many.
    Im surprised International doesn't enforce some kind of regulation on the dealership for QC, i mean what good is selling a good truck, if the support sucks????

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    wheelman666 and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  8. wheelman666

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    So then it sounds like as an OO it might just be worth investing in the software. How much is the connector cable to connect the laptop to the truck?
    And once I buy the software do I get updates or do I have to buy updates?

Besides DLB what other software wish used on a prostar, besides engine and tranny unless they are part of DLB,

9. wheelman666

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    Had a shop hook up the DLB and sure enough I need to go buy the thermistor kit.
    Everything else looks good.
    I'll know for sure tomorrow

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    We use Nexiq USBLINK-2 adaptors. I believe DLB has a one year subscription. I don't know the details. Hopefully the link I provided with have the details to answer your questions.

Ok, how did they determine you need another set of Thermistors?

11. wheelman666

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    Error code was high side thermostat.
    and they weren't replaced as i had thought. so doing in AM and see how it goes.

I don't see the link for the DLB or the USB link

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.