09 prostar a/c replaced everything still not working

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by radicastuff, Aug 7, 2012.

1. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    How about..............................blower motor?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. myke1175

myke1175 Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Yes the blower motor wants to work at times blows and goes away i hear it but no speeds....

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You could have a bad HVAC control panel, bad wiring, loose terminals, bad linear power module or failing fan. Since the fan works sometimes, but not others, I would say you have a bad connection somewhere. Double check that 30 amp breaker again, and pay attention to where it plugs into the sockets. When they start to get lose it will get hot and melt the plastic and cause issues like this.

5. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Yes this is my guess. Mine had a loose connector on the back of the control module. I took off the side panel of the dog house and reached up and felt the connector. It was half way out. I pushed it back in firmly and worked perfectly.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  6. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    My AC is working well. Ice cold in the sleeper. But the cab vents are blowing Luke warm air when it should be freezing cold. It’s as if my temp selector is turned up even though it’s all the way cold. Is there a way to reset the HVAC on the Prostar to make sure the blend door is where it’s supposed to be?

7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    If a ProStar, did you turn off the valve under the hood for the heater core? If that is turned off, blocking coolant to the heater core, check the blend door under the hood at the fresh air intake box where the cab filter is installed. To check if the blend door is working properly, turn to max AC in the cab and see if the door closes tightly. If that is working, it may be the HVAC control module, the three knob deal on your dash. I have had to replace mine twice. Also, have you replaced the in cab filter?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  8. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    You must have a fancy Prostar. Mine does not have a shutoff for the heater core. I replace my cab filter often so it’s not that. I also replaced my HVAC control module just a few months ago. I also did not see how to check the blend door under the hood. The only way I know is to take apart the dash in the passenger foot well.

9. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    You have three blend doors, two under the dash and one under the hood. The blend door actuators are the same that a Jeep Cherokee uses, I believe a 1999 model year if you want to save a few bucks. The one under the hood, is a different actuator than the cab ones. It is located on the side of the air intake box under the hood. You need to remove the wiper cowl to get to it, three nuts. It is located where your heater hoses enter the firewall.

You can easily remove the actuators to see if they work, they are hit and miss regarding quality. I carry a spare with me. The one under the hood is the one that controls the fresh/recirculating air into the cab. And I would install a valve for the heater core at the least. A brass gas line ball valve works well with barb connectors.

Also, on the actuators, there is a procedure that you have to follow when installing them. You can find it on line or call the dealer, they should be able to email you a copy. If not, Diamond Logic may be required to get them operating properly. Which sucks.

Also, it could be the condenser in the AC box under the dash has failed or is dirty. That could also give you that warm air. I do not know of a way to test that. I replaced mine at roughly 700,000 miles as it failed, sprung a leak.

texasmorrell Thanks this.
  10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    To reset your door actuators, all you need to do is remove power from the HVAC controls for 20 seconds. You can remove the HVAC fuse, should be F1-B, 5amp, then reinstall it and you will hear the motors cycle back and forth. If it is still not cold, it is might be broken. The drive collars do break.

texasmorrell Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.