09 prostar a/c replaced everything still not working

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by radicastuff, Aug 7, 2012.

1. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    UPDATE

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    UPDATE: Shutting the truck off for a minute and then restarting results in the cab blowing ice cold again. It lasts a few hours then gets warm again. Just the cab, not the bunk. I did it three times today. The AC is not shutting off it’s just the cab blowing warm air for no reason. Is this a temperature actuator problem? I don’t think it’s a broken collar because it does reset each time.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I would say you are right, actuator or controller problem. Sometimes the collars do crack and spread, then relax back into shape and work for a bit until they spread again, finicky. Once the actuator is in it's position, it won't move unless commanded, so I would say it is getting some sort of commanded signal to move.

texasmorrell Thanks this.
  6. Ecole8313

Ecole8313 Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2018
    I have a 2009 international prostar for some reason my fan clutch will not engage and I have proper pressures.

7. Michael 57

Michael 57 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2019

8. Michael 57

Michael 57 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I'm having same issue with my 2011 day cab pro star a/c an electrical fault triangle appearing

9. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Probably a bad AC compressor. The clutch is the first thing that fails and the electromagnet won’t engage.

10. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    That’s a good guess. Turns out the face of the evaporator was icing over and blocking airflow. Turning off the AC for a few minutes and turning the fan on high allows it to thaw then it works normal again.

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Usually a frozen solid evap takes longer than a minute to thaw out. From your story, it sounded like you were just shutting the truck off and restarting right away. Glad you found it. You must have your thermistors by passed or something, because they are what's used to prevent this.

12. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Yep I have them bypassed. Yes I was shutting off the truck and during that time the evaporator thawed. Once I realized what the problem was I didn’t have to shut the truck off anymore. I have my engine fan bypassed too and I control the AC and the fan with toggle switches on the dash now. Works great. My AC hasn’t shut off once all summer. Amazing what a difference getting rid of those crappy thermistors makes. Just have to be careful to always turn on my fan when I’m in traffic or parking.

13. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    No problem, now that you know the symptoms and what to do it'll probably work for years now, LOL!

texasmorrell Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs