09 prostar thought i fixed it with a wiggle body controller

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by vicdsm, Apr 18, 2018.

1. vicdsm

vicdsm Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2009
    new york
    2009 prostar isx07 cummins and autowatic trans

well I thought I had fixed it by wiggling the connectors to body controller.
    symptoms prior to looking into it.

wipers dont turn off , when disconnecting multifunction switch wipers go full blast
    -volt gauge while engine running bounced between less than 12.6 all the way past 16 (alarm goes off)
    -temp blend door control and mode for climate control does not work from control panel but direct power to both actuators get them going (blower motor works from control panel)
    - abs module blinks in display then stays solid , trac light also on.

AFTER removing body controller noticed unit was had plastic broken at bottom ,was damp and gooey at bottom,removed from vehicle and removed plastic totally dirty on motherboard and glue like goo (assuming they cheaped out and used a glue instead of solder?? lots of clumpy hard white stuff on cpus that were not where you would expect the shock insulation material to be.. cleaned best I could.

Reinstalled , everything still the same EXCEPT the voltage is stable at 13.7ish (dvom reading at alt match gauge).

removed connectors to body controller except battery cable and kept grounded, used lead from battery neg to my dvom neg lead and put pos lead on pin (controller side NOT harness) for where E7 on blue connector goes and get .887 volts and every 10 sec or so drops to .873ish volts for split sec Same frequency as when i have multifunction switch coneected and turned off and wipers go... that to me tells me its the body controller itself since there is nothing else other than battery power and battery neg to module but want opinion

also , on the engine side firewall ground posts behind air cleaner, there is one ground cable that goes into main harness behind engine over trans that is giving me 6 volts key off, doesnt seem normal to me. does anyone know where this one goes its only one that goes down that way icant get to loom where it splits over bellhousing (the trsnny seems to shift fine but notice the little green light next to M on shift pad always blinks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Body controller has nothing to do with any hvac actuators/doors.
    Body controller has nothing to do with ABS.
    As for the wipers, this is where you need access to Diamond Logic Builder software to see what the body controller is seeing. Does your windshield washer work? If not, this is probably the problem. You probably have a shorted circuit to the washer pump and the body controller is sensing the ground and thinks you are pressing the wash request button on the wiper control. This is where you can connect Diamond Logic to the truck and see what wiper cycle is being requested and go from there.

styvoll2004, vicdsm and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  4. vicdsm

vicdsm Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2009
    new york
    after looking at circuit diagram your right, the actuators pretty much go straight from hvac controller and not thru body controller , only ac request signals.
    the wiper washer function works fine,i press it squirts and does the wipe cycle
    today i removed body controller and used equal gauge cable to power it from my cars battery and grounded it to my cars neg just to power up (no connectors from truck obviously) and with volt meter did same thing and got exact same result of the .887 volts that blips to .873 for half a second every 10 sec. in other words im getting a "ghost" pulse from the module itself at pin e7 form blue harness connector, that wire sends signal or power to wiper power relay at socket for 85, i can pull the relay for highlow and it still keeps ondoing it , but if i pull the one for power it stops.. has me baffled. have continuity with no resistance from harness side for e7 pin to wiper power relay at socket for relay 85 and no short (checked for voltage) . thanks for the advice, rush truck in ATL want like 500 just to bring truck in and put scanner on it (hell I can prob buy a laptop software and data link cables for a bit more)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  5. vicdsm

vicdsm Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2009
    new york
    it just hit me that when i have the switch plugged in and in off position, it cycles wipers on lowest setting and I see the signal when the power relay is out at socket 85 it stays at 12.5 volts then blips when i assume it wants to make wiper go but when i disconnect switch it remains 12.5 volts constant and relay back in wipers go full blast which means without signal from switch it must be seeing short to ground somewhere and keeping the circuit live (thanks for the insight heavyD).. they apparently replaced the harness on this truck left the new one super slacky all over the truck but i will open up loom infront by under rad where I saw a vid on utube guy said it was common to get corroded there

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Ok, the body controller doesn't send out any power to the wipers or the relays, it just controls the grounds for the relays. E7 sorta ends up being the ground path for the wiper power relay. That voltage is just residual after the coil in the relay. If you ground E7, the wipers will come on. Now, for wiper control and speed, inside the wiper multi-function switch is actually 3 switches for the wiper control. They each have a digital input to the body controller. The combination of which of the three switches are closed or not depends on speed you have selected. When they are all closed, the wipers are off, when they are all open, you have high speed. That is why when you unplug it you are also getting high speed. The body controller has three inputs at connector J3 at A9, A10 and A11 for the status of the three switches. When a switch is closed, it will connect the input at the body controller to ground. So for a closed circuit the body controller is looking for ground or zero volts, open circuit it will look for voltage on that input. (This voltage is produced by the body controller and monitored internally) On the body controller, wiper switch input 0 is A9, wiper switch input 1 is A10 and wiper switch input 2 is A11. The ground connector to the body controller for these switches ends up being E5 at J5. So when the wiper is set to off, you should have continuity between A9, A10 and A11 at J3 to E5 at J5. So if they say on, at this point you must have an open either in the wiring, a bad terminal, or broken switch inside the multi-function switch.

vicdsm Thanks this.
  7. vicdsm

vicdsm Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2009
    new york
    Im going to take a look at it tmw. is 50 ohms resisyance normal at ground post on passenger side ? When i disconnect all bcm connectors.it drops to 20 ohms

8. vicdsm

vicdsm Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2009
    new york
    UPDATE: brought the multifunction switch home and after pulling the boot on stalk back the white connector (not the main connector to truck harness) that has 6 wires, had the white wire broken at connector.

Update#2 reinstalled after repairing the connector and no change still have wipers doing their own thing. I GROUNDED E7 and wipers did not come on. Im gonna just bite the bullet and change the body controller. Too much wierdness like high resistance readings at cab dash grounds when bcm plugged in also get like 8-10 volts at hvac controls connector pins(3 of the terminals) besides the pin for battery which gives 12 volts. Unplugging body controller the current goes away(Except battery)

Also lost radio ignition(NOT BATTERY) AFTER "cleaning" the motherboard on body controller.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Heavyd Thanks this.
  9. vicdsm

vicdsm Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2009
    new york
    Update 4/23... replaced multifunction switch, fixed the wiper issue .. thanks heavy d. Gonna have a guy run scanner for hvac issues

Heavyd Thanks this.
  10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Great to hear!

11. vicdsm

vicdsm Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2009
    new york
    Update with hvac controls...

Found mode selection for vents actuator had broken section of sleeve.. i reinforced the blend actuator with epoxy making sure to not freeze it to housing and moved it to vent selection since its harder to get to... I used small worm gear clamp and sleeved it over and tightened onto temp blend working good now..

Side note if you try to control while off the housing, it will eventually not work since it does not sense resistance of doors.. you willbbq have to key off and back on to realign and follow it until it seats

Heavyd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.