'09 T2000 odometer resets to 0

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Hghwyman48, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Hghwyman48

Hghwyman48 Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    After the starter was changed out in my '09 T2000, the odometer reset to 0. The batteries had been disconnected for a few hours. Since then the odometer continues to reset to 0 often, always after being parked for the weekend.

I stopped in at one dealership and talked with someone at the service counter. They said they had never heard of a similar problem. I asked if the dash cluster had a battery in it, he said no.

Any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    Do the trip meters hold their values?

4. kwforage

kwforage Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sell it with 0 miles as new old stock and buy a new truck. :biggrin_25522:

123456 Thanks this.
  5. Hghwyman48

Dec 9, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Trip meters reset to 0, engine hours reset to 0, MGI and MGA reset to 0. Clock keeps accurate time.

Also get a message "SVC CLTR"

I sure would like to sell the truck. EGR and DPF have given me problems also. Luckily, do not have DEF with an '09 model.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  6. A_C_Cooper

A_C_Cooper Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Gilbert, SC
    Svc cltr likely means service gauge cluster

aktundratugger Thanks this.
  7. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    My 08 Pete dash and cruise gave me fits until someone suggested getting an ESA update(only available at the dealer) cured everything. Cummins told me to pull my EGR valve couple times a year and clean it up. Simple,easy job and after i started cleaning it up,no more EGR problems. First time i took it off it was carboned up big time. Probably should pick up some gaskets if you decide to give it a try. It was a Cummins engineer at the Louisville Truck Show that clued me in on this and it worked for me.

8. Hghwyman48

Dec 9, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Turned out to be a bad ground. Mechanic that changed out the starter must have not reconnected the batteries properly.

Problem got worse after the Kenworth dealership in New Stanton, PA worked on my truck. Replaced the EGR cooler under warranty and repaired the A/C. Left New Stanton and drove about 90 miles to the Pilot in Breezewood, PA. and stopped. The truck wouldn't restart, shop at the Pilot came and and jumped me. Got the truck into their garage and they checked the battery connections. Said that only 1 of my 4 batteries had been properly connected. Never had the odometer reset to 0 after they worked on it. I was happy with their work. Will never let Kenworth in New Stanton touch my truck again.

9. KWmech

KWmech Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    To be fair it really does not sound like it was the dealership in New Stanton's fault if all they did was an EGR cooler and some A/C work. Neither one of those repairs require to be inside of the battery box at all and if the truck was running fine before you took it there they probably did not notice anything abnormal. But I understand what you are saying, I've been to that dealership and they all look like a bunch of goobers.

10. Hghwyman48

Dec 9, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    They did disconnect the batteries at KW New Stanton. Besides not reconnecting them properly, they also did not properly reconnect the side panel that they removed to get to the batteries.

11. KWmech

KWmech Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Ok then, not sure why they would have needed to get at the batteries but like I said before, goobers. I would be making some phone calls.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.