1 month with Comtrak - HUB Group

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by daddy&mama2go, Jun 1, 2013.

1. daddy&mama2go

daddy&mama2go Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Starting this thread as I couldn't find much on the company when I was researching our move. So here goes, the good, the bad and the ugly.

The UGLY....
    Communication! Non-existent. The first week you will feel like a chicken with your head cut off. No one answers your questions, heck no one answers the phones. BUT persevere, it is worth it. They don't hold your hand and expect you to know your own answers. Ask other drivers or drown.

The BAD....
    The railroad equipment, ie, Chassis are ####e. No two ways about it, they suck. Expect to become a part-time mechanic or spend a dump-load of time waiting on one. Of course, they do pay detention after two hours of reporting a flat, etc., but your time is worth more than $40 an hour. Carry lights and tools with you. The only way I've found time to post this on the road is I'm waiting on a flat right now and yes, I'm collecting detention.

The GOOOOOOOOD....
    I am delighted! Not just feeling a honeymoon, that doesn't exist here, but absolutely ecstatic. My husband and I run team. Everyone said couldn't be done at intermodal. BULL! We were worried that they wouldn't be able to give us the 4,000 miles we asked for, but boy was that not a worry. We run five days, at the end of that we, both of us, are out of hours and 4,000+ miles in the paycheck. Almost everything is drop and hook, so there is no waiting. We tell them when and how many miles we want, they give it no questions asked.
    We were prepared for all the loads to be heavy...not so. About 1/10 are 30-40K but most are 9-20K. After hauling groceries for the past 5+ years these are a nice break.
    MONEY...
    Week 1 we cleared $2950 with $500 of sign-on bonus in 3 days running.
    Week 2 we cleared $4972 with $125 of sign-on bonus in 5 days running.
    Week 3 we cleared $3800 with $125 of sign-on bonus in 5 days and 24 hours of sitting on detention and layover.
    Week 4 we cleared $3975 with $125 of sign-on bonus in 4 days, no detention.
    Let others lie, but these are the facts, Jack.

Rob617 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Are your checks after 100 percent of your expenses have been subtracted? And I do mean ALL expenses. Thanks. I like the facts, too.

4. daddy&mama2go

daddy&mama2go Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Why yes Lone Ranger, with the exception of taxes. As I am sure you understood, we are owner/operators not company drivers so we are independent contractors. I didn't start the thread to make anyone feel inadequate nor recruit anyone. I simply wanted anyone interested in Comtrak to be able to find some facts, they are scarce on the Dallas Terminal. Our last paycheck was $3954 with three days off. After I do our taxes on that amount the net, based on last year's effective tax base of 15%, is $3360.

scottm586 and Lone Ranger 13 Thank this.
  5. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    As an O/O you get a settlement not paycheck. Those are good figures if they truly are after all expenses.

6. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    what year does the truck have to be. im worried about intermodal because of the equipment. also is it paper logs. otherwise waiting in the hubs would suck. on average is intermodal a hassle daily?

7. Knight_Rider

Knight_Rider Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Corona, CA
    I applied for com track and ill tell you after my initial few contacts with recruiters I figured out its a jok of an outfit and retracted my application.

those numbers may be real but that is for a team and that's after 4,000 miles of running and does not include a truck payment.

second for solo drivers cut that in half and add on a truck payment after which pure probably looking at 1400 month if you're lucky. Why because its electronic logs and all that waiting will burn thru your 14 real fast.

third she is talking about miles but that's if you drive long distance perhaps since I was told local drivers intermodal get paid by the run typically.

finally, this is busy season. Wait till January till may is dead as hell on intermodal. So much so that they stop hiring. Seems to me they hire people with the intentions of using them during busy times and could care less what they do during slow season

8. truck6677

truck6677 Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2012
    no we stay busy year round,been here about 2 years not going no where,you make it if you want to at comtrak,solo driver 2600 every week if i want it or more,out on monday back home tueday nite or wensday afternoon,out thursday back home sat

9. Frank Acavano

Frank Acavano Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Newark, NJ
    What kind of $ are you clearing running 2600 weekly? And where do you live, if you don't mind?

10. Trucknbabygirl

Trucknbabygirl Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Sebastian, Fl
    I've been here for over a year and sorry to say your statement is incorrect. As a solo driver I'm bringing home over $1700 a week AFTER ALL MY DEDUCTIONS on average. I go home when I want stay as long as I want and work when I want. I take several mini vacations a year and still keep up with the bills. This company will work for someone who is willing to work, Can budget their money, and will go when and where needed most. As for the e-logs well yes they can suck but if your doing your job and not bs' ing you'll make money. And we don't really have a slow season here like with most companies I've worked for. I ran just as hard in Jan and Feb as I did in July and Aug.

11. truck6677

truck6677 Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Yea i run triangles home every. Other nite

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.