10 day training? Are you high?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by smurf-316, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slowpoke89

slowpoke89 Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Slowpoke land
    10 days... Explains why Watkins Shepard drivers are among the worst.

smurf-316 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flatbedn

Flatbedn Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
    I don't drive for WS but I've seen them being the most courteous. You have bad drivers at all companies, even yours I'm sure of it.

Chinatown and zmpart Thank this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Companies use trainees for team loads and do not care how the trainer does.Many times in this industry a trainee request a new trainer ASAP,but because the dispatch isn't in control of that they have to wait till most the time when they get back to the terminal.So companies give trainee a new trainer only the trainer is as bad as the other one or worse.A trainer is suppose to be just that a trainer.Sitting in the jump seat and take over only if trainee is in an unsafe situation not make it into a team operation especially when the trainee is far from ready and the company knows this but still puts them on team loads.I know Werner doesn't have the best training in the industry,im not saying they do.There training is like every other company,so many hrs and they turn u loose.A trainer should not be in the back sleeping but when companies turn it into a tem operation,the trainer does need sleep.There are some companies that do actually train and trainers are not allowed to drive.Every company should be like that.Most the trainers are bad I was one of the lucky ones that had an excellent trainer ,SAFETY was his middle name..Im not defnding Werners safety,im sure its hundred times worse now then when I was there just like all the other companies.

5. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    See that's my point patty The difference in today's driver and my day was this the yoyo and just the pulse never even made it to the lot let alone made it in the truck .

Training will not make a pulse or a yoyo a driver. The driver doesn't do the crashing the pulse and the yoyo do!
    So the easy thing to do is stop letting the yoyo and the pulse in the cab of the truck to start with !

If the government or the company cared about safety they would not make trucking the trash can of the unemployment world !

If safety was important then they would regulate the training system .
    They don't care so they don't make it a priority .

It is all just smoke and mirrors on the feds part and the company too.

Why should the motoring pubic including fine exp trk drivers be the subject of all the very poorly trained drivers.
    So you think that we aren't being subjected to poorly trained drivers now ?

The fact is we have more school and trainer trained drivers then ever in history and from what I can tell they are the worst bunch of excuses that I have ever shared the road with.
    The training just lets them blame someone else for their crappy driving skills .

You can have all the training wonders out there I will trust the guy that gets it done on his own any over the sorry excuse well trained driver of today.

Also for all you that keep saying it was different in your day you are right !
    We didn't cry and whine like this new breed about every little thing in the world .
    We did it with no cell phones no APU no GPS no air conditioning no cruise control no air ride no trainers no school no tv no game system no satellite radio.
    We did however do it with common sense and the ability to think for ourselves pride in ourselves and our job .

If you have made it this far this is the last thing I will say on this subject .. This job has never been easier, the equipment has never been better, and the drivers have never been better trained ,and a bigger bunch of spoiled cry babies than they are right now !

Bumpy Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Watkins-Shepard hires new CDL graduates, so the drivers don't need a baby sitter for more than 10 days. What you didn't mention is, Watkins-Shepard new hires can request and will be granted more than 10 days if they want it. My CDL school was only 10 days & went straight to 48 states OTR with no problems. Truck driving isn't that complicated.

Toomanybikes and zmpart Thank this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Maybe not in your state. But it's definitely required here in MD.

I know all about that. I work with some of the sorriest excuses for truck drivers I ever seen in my life.

8. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    For some it is apparently..I think part of the blame is on recruiting..Idea is thrown with a pic of a shiny new Truck on a nice sunny day parked in the mountains with the slogan-'An office with a view'..And grandiose promises of $60,000 the 1st year. Then...they (recruiting)will take almost anyone who can sign their name and if not,maybe an "X" will suffice? Not sure on that one..

My point? Many are in a Truck who probably shouldn't be. I pointed out just one part of the problem.

9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I knew long ago FMCSA wasn't about safety.More like revenue and job creation then anything else.But the industry rather spends billions a yr helping FMCSA and all the other hater groups rather then take a stand and refuse.The training we have now is nothing more then a joke and a disgrace to the industry.It really makes us look bad.Can't blame 4 wheelers for how they feel about us.My boyfriend has been driving for 3o yrs now,his training consisted of his dad giving him the keys to deliver a load.But back then it wasn't as bad as it is now.One needs special training for this profession to learn the logs,the laws,policies how to turn,how to back a lot more in this industry has changed since way back when.Nothing is basic anymore.

10. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    One more point I want too make before I 'Eat Till I Puke'.:) Not EVERYONE is cut out to be a Truck Driver,anymore than someone can make a High School Football team. For some it comes naturally and for them if they have desire-the sky is the limit.

For others:No way.No how.It's just NOT gonna happen..

Big Don and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Others that u think can't make it in this industry is false.Just needs work which todays industry don't have the time or patience because its all about money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.