10 day training? Are you high?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by smurf-316, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    Well-this thread isn't about money-but I have no patience to argue with you..:biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You've been trucking a long time, so I know you have to know better than that. Regulations have come a long way since you started, and there is much that needs to be learned and remembered. I feel I only took to this job as well as I did because I wanted to do it.

I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who wasn't in my shoes.

Shaggy, smurf-316 and pattyj Thank this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    good no patience to argue with u either.

5. smurf-316

smurf-316 Resident Nut Case

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    As professional drivers I think we should demand better training. Who has a problem with someone better trained?
    "I couldn't handle 6 or 8 weeks with a trainer." Tuff ****! When you go be a cop you don't get to dictate how long you wanna be in training.
    "I never had any training and I'm the best trucker in the world." Congratulations! Unfortunately everyone will not be a super trucker as soon as they climb in a cab. If we want to blame the trainers then it is the responsibility of the company to have good trainers or they should not be training. It's true some drivers will learn faster than others. That's why my company leaves it too the trainer when he feels comfortable running team miles with the rookie. The rookie will NOT be allowed to back or mountain drive without the trainer in the seat beside him. The rookie WILL receive 8 weeks of mandatory training. The difference between one of our rookies and some of the others such as Watkins is that our rookie CAN drive a truck! And he WILL prove he can drive a truck when he test out at the end of his 8 weeks. As for the Watkins 10 day trainee's... PLEASE STAY THE **** AWAY FROM ME!

pattyj and bucksandducks Thank this.
  6. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    When I first got my CDL back in 2009 I got on with an O/O who had many years of experience.. We pulled flatbed.. he had so many bad habits... following to close.. he would size to bully car drivers over.. he use to say... when all they see in their rear view is my grill they will get out of my way... after we tarped or untarped he woulf have cold beer or two before hitting the road.. to rehydrate he would say..

Well.. needless to say it was a bad experience... I got off his truck and stayed off the road for awhile.. when I returned I got on with a small family owned fleet and sent out with an experienced driver.. had 20 years experience. ? He was a mental case.. seriously... I later found out that two weeks before my getting on the truck with him he had a mental breakdown in texas.. was hospitalized for a few days and the doctor pulled his CDL.. he was on a handful of meds.. well, he was also a hostile and agreesive driver.. he would follow too close, stay on cruise control and be right up on the car or truck before moving over.. if a break in traffic didnt happen and he had to get off cruise control he would rant for the next 10 or more miles... he had trouble sleeping, even though he was taking sleeping pills.. so he would drink vodka till he passed out.. of course he was hungover and useless in the morning.. he would wake up after I drove for a few hours and I would have to pull over to he could pee and throw up..

Clearly that was not a good way to be trained.. so I went to werner.. my first trainer had 11 years experience.. but she was an idiot and it did not work witn us.. so, got off ber truck and got on with another trainer, a million miler with 16 years experience... he was a great guy, very respectful and considerate, as well as a good driver and trainer.

My point is.. every trainer I had had many years of experience... but that didnt make them good drivers or trainers..

I have seen trainers with less experience then my first three trainers.. but I watch them with their student and can see they are much better than my first three trainers..

Just because a driver has a few years under their belt doesnt mean they are good drivers nor does it mean they would make good trainers... and there are some drivers who dont have years of experience but are good drivers and can be a good trainer..

smurf-316 Thanks this.
  7. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy

alot has changed, the cdl was created, by the federal government... More regulations have been enacted, and yet over those 3 decades we still have crashes, deaths, mayham.... laws and the government are NOT the answer.

75% of crashes are the fault of untrained 4 wheeler drivers.. the problem is NOT the truckers.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Im well aware of that which is why I say the laws are very flawed and FMCSA knows this.But a lot of the accidents that involves truckers and its their fault are from new drivers which also means another mark against the industry and yet another law in place.If FMCSA wants to enforce such strict laws then enforce longer training as well.The drivers are the real ppl that suffer in this industry.Time to enforce stricter hireing and training on the companies as well.

9. smurf-316

smurf-316 Resident Nut Case

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina

I agree.
    Just because you have 20 years driving does not mean you will be a good trainer. Some people are great teachers and some are not. But there are TWO things I would like to point out about the training at my company.

1. Our trainers receive NO additional pay what so ever for training someone.

2. Our Trainee's fill out a score and comment sheet on their trainer. Guess what happens if a trainer gets to many complaints on his training? He's no longer a trainer! I don't know of another company where the trainee's grade their trainer.

10. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    So this 75% of crashes are the fault of the 4 wheeler statement, is this a statistic based on percentages in DOT reportable accidents? Can someone link me to the data source. I've heard this a lot but I haven't seen the information and I'd like to.

losttrucker Thanks this.
  11. nsxman2001

nsxman2001 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2014
    AMEN brother preach LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.