10 rules to be a (Good) Schneider Driver

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Akwilson, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Akwilson

Akwilson Bobtail Member

May 6, 2018
    Hello.

I'm an experienced driver, and would like to write this post as a suggestion to all the other OTR Schneider drivers out there, or ones thinking of driving Orange.

Rule #1: Be honest. I know life out here isn't easy. If you feel like you're getting the shaft, call your DBL and tell them that you feel that way. It also pays to be polite.

Rule #2: Slow down when a 65mph person is passing you. You're governed at 63. You will not win the race slow down to 59 and let them pass. Quit holding up traffic for ####'s sake.

Rule #3: Do not take a truck spot for a bobtail. Park in the front (the internet is usually better there anyway) or in a spot out of the way of the laden trucks.

Rule #4: Take your time. G.O.A.L. G.O.A.L. G.O.A.L. G.O.A.L. The internet is just waiting for a nice video of a rookie Schneider Driver backing into a 2 million dollar load.
    which brings me to
    Rule #5: Every day is your first day. If you treat it like this, you may not have any incidents or ever get fired.

Rule #6: It gets better. I can't say this for everyone, but it has for me. I average over $1200/week as OTR. That's not take-home, but it's good.

Rule #7: Straps. Every time you go to an OC, get 2 load straps. You will eventually need them and will be glad you did.

Rule #8: If you're lonely, go to the diner. Try to strike up a conversation. Many times I've done this and very few have I left feeling like nobody understands what we go through.

Rule #9: Do your pre-trip. This should be #1 but let's be real. OK, you got your coffee and you're going to sit in your cab and let it cool down before you leave, right? Open the #### hood and just look. Thump your tires. Every-time you pick up a trailer, never assume it's road-worthy.

Rule #10: Get a GPS or 2. It will save you time and money. I've often had routes that plan on the backroads going 45 extra miles when I can take the toll road. I've never been charged for taking a toll road, take it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    You forgot two.
    Drink the Koolaid it makes the indoctrinating easier.
    Make sure to read all the Schneider propaganda.
    It's makes the indoctrinating easier.
    And remember:
    Schneider Smart.

4. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    No, no, no, he got it all wrong. Blame the company for everything, take all criticism personally, yell and scream on the phone to your boss every time you feel frustrated. Never, ever, look at your truck before driving because who needs that hassle. Nothing EVER gets better...as a person that has been driving for a few years I can state this as something that might be true. A GPS is too expensive and it's for suckers. Be old school and pull out a paper map. Who needs some electronic device telling you...cough cough, suggesting to you what to do. Governed trucks suck, but I agree with a basic truth that racing others on the road is a waste of both your time and your money, don't be a racer. GOAL? Only wimps do that. Be confident in your backing skills and never doubt yourself. After all, hitting a mirror will be a lesson in and of itself. Kool aid is too sugary for my tastes. Give me freshly squeezed lemons right from the unripe lemon...that's my favorite pucker face.

a-trucker123 and bbq247365 Thank this.
  5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Rule #11: stay in the middle lane at all times. As soon as you merge, go straight to the middle lane and stay there no matter what.

6. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Rule #10 can be achieved simply by reading a map.

Roger McG and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    #12 set your goals low so when they exceed them you are content

Dave_in_AZ and Woodys Thank this.
  8. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Get out of the stone age. It's a tool. I've had an atlas by my side for 18 years. Ive only opened it once in over a year. A GPS does alot than just show a route and is a crucial investment. Our industry is advancing faster than it ever has in our history and we ,as professionals, have to advance with it . Only a fool hinders himself due to nostalgia.

9. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    I thought this was about Schneider.
    Why are you bringing Prime into it, lol.

Dave_in_AZ, Kyle G., swervyjoe and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I actually have to say, I rarely see primes hogging the middle. They seem to know their place as the right lane renegades of the trucking industry.

Dark_Majesty_06 Thanks this.
  11. Txdriver77

Txdriver77 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Texas
    more like p.a.m.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.