100 lbs overweight.. should I lose it first before getting CDL?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by redfurmom, Jul 20, 2018.

1. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    I'm 29, female, 4'11 and weigh about 235. This is the heaviest I have ever been. I applied for Roehl's paid CDL training and received an email and text this morning with information about the next steps. However, I ended up coming across articles -- not directly related to Roehl -- and whatnot about how being overweight can hurt my chances due to fears of sleep apnea, heart attacks, etc. My weight keeps my confidence level low and I wish I had taken my weight into account before I applied.

If I write the Roehl lady back and tell her that I want to hold off on getting started for a few months until after I've lost some weight, would that be a mistake? Would I end up losing my chance for ever getting accepted again?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Roehl will give you a physical with their doctor and then will determine if you need sleep apnea studies.
    Your weight won't cause you to fail a physical, but having sleep apnea will.

Armyguy63b, redfurmom and Puppage Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Losing weight and getting fit is very good.

The food on the highway would be really bad. In terms of being able to maintain fitness and weight. But that's not all of it.

Trucking is very stressful. Outside of combat and disaster, it sometimes creates a response in people to open up a pathway to weight gain or other problems as a defense to the stressors.

Medical screening that lands you into Sleep Testing etc based on your physical situation (Size, BMI, Weight) is a real possibility. And if someone was to say you need a CPAP that's it for you.

It will take you about 6 months to a year to lose that 100 pounds or so more or less. Identify which foods hang around your system too much and get more active. Take this time for yourself. Your CDL is not going anywhere provided you make sure the state understands you are looking for trucking related work. (Really slowly...)

We have been overweight before. And managed to overcome it. It takes time. And the future benefits to being reasonably fit are very many. For example if you are told to unload a trailer with 45000 pounds of boxes, that's 100 pounds you don't already have to carry around (That's about 5 bowling balls more or less) on your heart, spine and mind.

I can only provide encouragement. At 5 feet more or less 235 is really heavy. Anything you can do to get it down closer to say around 145 or so at most will benefit you enormously.

The biggest thing about weight gain is that if you are laying around doing nothing due to whatever reason such as a medical operation or long term recovery etc and eating many calories per day you will gain weight and keep gaining.

Once you reduce the necessary Calories to where you break even or eat less than your body needs in terms of fuel to get through the day you will begin to lose weight. It takes time.

I cannot and must not eat like I do during a dakota winter which approached 8000 or 10,000 calories some days 24/7 as a 150 pound person 30 years ago. I would be at 300 then 400 and on up without end really fast creating all sorts of problems. I eat very little and maintain at least 180. But not much more than that. The heart wont support it. If I get too big, heart failure kicks in and im dead. Just like some of my relatives who got too big too early in life.

NavigatorWife, MBAngel and redfurmom Thank this.
  5. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    In my opinion I say that your health has to come first.
    Lose the weight and be healthy.
    OTR is a sedentary lifestyle, parking on the back row and walking further will not help you lose weight.
    I did OTR for 12 years and got fat and gave it up mainly for my health. I’m healthier now then I’ve been in a long time. My blood pressure is perfect, even the doctor seemed skeptical when I said I wasn’t on blood pressure meds.
    I think Roehl has 7 day stints and maybe that could work for you, pack your food and then eat healthy and exceecise a lot on your hometime..

NavigatorWife, Redtwin, Tb0n3 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Thank you for the encouragement! Three years ago I was 119 lbs but I let life get in the way and where I'm at now is the result. I'm in such a hurry to leave my current job that I hate that I didn't take into account my weight when it comes to trucking. It seems like I won't be making a mistake by telling the Roehl lady rhat I'm going to lose weight first and apply again for the program after the first of the year. I just want to make sure that I'm in better shape and will start out my new career on the best foot possible.

I am experiencing several of the sleep apnea symptoms so I'm worried that will flag automatically if I were to go ahead with the physical right now. If I bust my ###, I'm sure I could lose enough weight -- even if I'm not at or close to my goal yet -- to confidently pass the physical.

Thanks

NavigatorWife and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    So you are already there in some ways. You want to take this time for yourself. Don't even let a DOT doctor catch you lolz. When you get rid of the weight everything else will fall into place really fast.

Don't be in a hurry to hurt yourself in trucking either. It's gotten to be very luxury these days with the palaces we ride around in what with the plush and all.

NavigatorWife and redfurmom Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get a sleep apnea machine that records proper use of it. Trucking companies doctors will check the card in the machine to ensure you're using it when your supposed to . Using a CPAP machine won't keep you from becoming a trucker as long as it will record proper use. I think they check back 90 days.
    www.rpmhst.com is a website to get information on sleep apnea, supplies, CPAP machine.

NavigatorWife, MBAngel and redfurmom Thank this.
  9. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    These are my feelings exactly. As much as I hate to prolong my stay at my horrible job, I don't want to start off my trucking career on shaky ground. I want to go into it feeling confident, healthy and ready. I have been coming up with ideas all morning regarding how to stay healthy on the road and what I plan to do is, like you said, pack all my food. I plan to get a Yeti insulated cooler or another top notch one to store my food. I plan to take a portable DVD player and my workout dvds so I can get in a 30-45 minute workout 5-6 days a week. Little things like that. Plus, after a few months of being on the road, I plan to bring along my dachshund, Rohn, and we'll go on walks on my down time to help keep me moving outside of the truck some. And my home time will also be a chance for me to work on staying in shape.

NavigatorWife and tucker Thank this.
  10. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Yes, as much as I hate to admit it, I am probably in the red in some areas that would hurt me from the get go. But knowing that, aside from being healthier, I will be working towards a better career, I think that alone will keep me going at my job. I have a bad tendency to over think and overplan but I think this step needs careful preparation

NavigatorWife, x1Heavy and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    As long as your blood pressure is ok. Don' worry about it. But if your still worried, go to your doctor or local clinic. Get a physical and ask about Sleep apena. PAY CASH!!! If possible use fake name. (Shouldn't be a problem if you tell them you just want a physical no perscriptions blood work or folliw ups) So it' not in the insurance companies data base forever.
    YES try to lose weight, but relax you will just be an average size trucker till you do.

NavigatorWife, redfurmom and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.