100 lbs overweight.. should I lose it first before getting CDL?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by redfurmom, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    If you can lose a lot of weight in a few months you'll be on track to be the dedicated worker that's sorely needed in trucking. I wish you luck in your efforts.

NavigatorWife and redfurmom Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Thank you! This type of career is the complete opposite of anything I've ever done but i feel like it's the right fit for me and has amazing potential for me. I absolutely want to kick it off the right way

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Define potential.

To me it's literally a feast and famine. Depending on what loads you got this week. If anything.

That's the other part of being overweight. It's really hard to spend 3.50 on a bowl of chili one time for a bad revenue week. =) It will turn out to be more like 50 dollars in chili bowls. (That's not good...) slight teasing.

Be very careful engaging medical people. If you want a blood pressure go get a BP machine from the drug store or a walmart. It's good to +/- 10 give or take provided you spend a dollar to get a quality unit. Never cheap out on these things and never take your BP more than twice a hour. You can get hurt doing this from the compression.

Testers for blood sugar would be another way to understand yourself. Diabetes is a real possibility among other problems.

In short, your fight is to get yourself back to 120 or wherever you were quickly. That way the DOT doctor has nothing to suspect a problem with you against trucking. (And it wont be)

Remember this. If you are a little hungry in the morning after a good night's sleep, THAT means you are living well. Your body is working the way it should be. What you don't want into developing mental complexes towards foods in general and hurting yourself even more. You need to have a little something to get going in the morning and something for dinner time later in the afternoon and that's pretty much it. Everything else is where the problems lie. (The chips, the junk food, the people living with you and so on. Red potatoes in particular.... and so on)

NavigatorWife, tucker and redfurmom Thank this.
  5. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Thank you for your advice! I wrote the Roehl lady back and told her I was holding off until after the first of the year and why -- so I can focus on losing weight and getting healthy again -- and that I hope I didn't inconvenience her too bad. I think I've made the right choice though. If I rush through it now, I know I'm going to regret it. I'd rather feel more confident so I can focus on learning and driving instead of the bs that comes with having low self esteem. Plus, waiting for 6 months will give me a chance to button up things here at home and get my affairs in order

6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are not "Inconveniencing" the Roehl Lady or anyone too bad. Remember there is 50 more who want the job pestering them about it.

In fact I think it might be the opposite. She wont forget you most likely for having a very good reason not to go right now. I bet you 10 to 1 she will remember you next year should you call again.

NavigatorWife and redfurmom Thank this.
  7. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    It’s not fair that in the other thread dudes was so mean to the small but determined gal but you guys are tripping over each other to be nice here. :)

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    edit.

Double posted against a rare server 503 error combined with timer.

redfurmom Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you prefer me to get mean and hard, I can do that really easy. One time before several results of that action kicks in.

If I can see a problem coming... I can usually come up with a workaround so it's not a problem if I have enough time to do it. If I don't well, that's that then.

10. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    29 year old female in back row will not be walking she will be running. Lot of shady truckers on back row.

Just passing by, tucker and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  11. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    That my hope for sure. The goal for the next 6 months is to to shed the weight and learn everything I can on my own about CDL and driving so that I can feel as prepared as possible come training time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.