100 Mile Exemption not 150?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mangdriver, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Google air mileage calculator. You can pull up a map, pin where the city you park your truck, and it will show you the radius your allowed.

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Read what he said :The other day one of my drivers got a ticket because he did run a log book" He got a ticket because he ran a log book, this doesn't even make sense. There needs to be more information. Was he a CDL driver? Did he have his prior days of hours he worked in his possession? If you run time cards and are a CDL driver you have to log if you go over 100 air miles period.

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’m thinking maybe the part you underscored was a typo and he left out the word “not”.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    No. Period. Read my picture. We run time cards and travel outside 100 miles. And have cdl. Period.

6. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    but you run agriculture?

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
  8. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    If you cross a state line, the air mile rule does not apply. For us, 100 air miles is Cheyenne, Wyo., but, since we cross a state line, we have to run a log no matter what. The other thing, every state and officer is different in enforcement on this. Friend drives a non-cdl Penske truck, 20', delivering for a uniform supplier. They deliver to a customer on the N.E. side of Cheyenne, Wyo., for 20yrs they did it without a problem, few years ago he got stopped by State trooper for speeding, trooper did the normal stuff. When he asked for a log book, he said they don't use them, they only work a 10 hr day and start/stop at the same place every day. Trooper pointed out he crossed the state line, and even though Cheyenne was only 99 miles from his starting point, the fact that he crossed a state line meant he had to have a log book. Trooper wrote him two tickets, they had to go to court to fight it, judge sided with the trooper.

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Wrong!!!!!!

3 reqirements are...
    1. 100/150 air miles depending on cdl required or not.
    2. 12 hour shift (from comming on duty)
    3. Start/stop at same location.

No state line requirement in the regs.

ChicagoJohn, kylefitzy and not4hire Thank this.
  10. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

The trooper and judge are wrong. State lines don't matter when using the local exemption. I cross state lines every night in the summer, been inspected in MD, never had an issue. I asked about this once while being inspected, and was told state lines mean nothing. As long as all requirements are met for short haul, I'm good

11. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    That's what I figured but I know better than to assume :D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.