100k in a sprinter

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Mr. Haulzwell, Mar 25, 2022.

1. stuckinthemud

stuckinthemud Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Log Book Requirements
    Quote"Who must keep a Log Book?

Every driver operating a commercial motor vehicle must track his duty status for each 24-hour period (off, sleeper berth, driving or on-duty not driving) using either an automatic on-board recording device or "Daily Log, Form MCS-59" or the "Multi-day Log, Form MCS-139 and 139A," in duplicate. The driver must record the city, town or village (or truck stop, highway milepost or intersection) when reporting for work, starting to drive, on-duty but not driving or released from work.

In general, a commercial motor vehicle is a vehicle that is used as part of a business and is involved in interstate commerce and fits any of these descriptions:

1. Weighs 10,001 pounds or more
    2. Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more
    3. Is designed or used to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver) not for compensation
    4. Is designed or used to transport 9 or more passengers (including the driver) for compensation
    5. A vehicle that is involved in Interstate or intrastate commerce and is transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placards is also considered a CMV."

RubyEagle and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stuckinthemud

stuckinthemud Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Also some states will require a commercial vehicle under 10,000 lbs gross to pull in to weigh stations or ports of entry

24kHotshot, Lite bug and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  4. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Most sprinters are under 10k gvwr I think

I know a couple of folks doing expedited freight
    No idea what load boards they are using.
    Neither one have any numbers or authority logbooks or CDL .
    Both claim they are netting 90 cents a mile after fuel , but before insurance maintaince , finance payments etc

I know one bought the sprinter at an auction for cash so he doesn’t have a payment .

Lite bug Thanks this.
  5. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I have heard similar things. I have wondered “ what type of insurance is needed “

6. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I might be 100% wrong but doesn’t the weight thing go away when you add commerce?
    So once it’s for hire it becomes a different situation?
    You see a lot of local companies running trucks with dot info on them

Just wondering if this is how it is??

7. roundhouse

Jul 11, 2018
    If you hook a trailer , even a small one to a pickup truck , it triggers the gvwr being over 10k . a 3/4 ton pickup is usually rated at 9900, so ANY trailer no matter how small puts you over 10k

Lite bug and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  8. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I get that
    but even if you are say under 10k doesn’t it still fall under commercial guidelines if it’s used for any type of commerce?

So a sprinter by itself may not hit the 10k mark but once it’s being pumped out for work no it doesn’t matter what weight it has?

9. roundhouse

Jul 11, 2018
    I think that varies by state
    But if you’re under ten , I think you’re exempt from most or all of the regs

someone can chime in and post the quote from the cfr regs

GYPSY65 Thanks this.
  10. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Yeah it is 10k l forgot thanks

11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    No under 10k doesn't need logs Pretty much all sprinter guys run under 10k. You still need the same insurance as a semi but no logs or weigh stations.

Lite bug and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.